The Physician
The Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Versatile emergency Physician, 20 years experience as a Physician
37289694

I have been prescribed 20mg per day of omeprazole for acid

I have been prescribed 20mg per day of omeprazole for acid reflux causing tenderness sensation in throat when eating and after food but very little heartburn. I have also changed my diet and don't eat late. After 3 weeks I think the tablets have helped but sense the problem is still there in a milder form. If the throat has been damaged by the reflux, how long will it take to heal with these tablets ?

Also shall I stop taking the tablets for a week to see if I can manage with diet and gaviscon when needed ? I am concerned as have read about long term effects of such meds.
Expert:  replied 3 years ago.

The Physician :

The Physician :

Did the physician who made the diagnosis visualize your throat?

The Physician :

Were there any associated problems with indigestion etc?

The Physician :

Those are important in determining the risk / benefit ratio of taking Omeperazole for long term.

The Physician :

Generally, the Proton pump inhibitors like Omeperazole have a good safety profile, and can be tolerated for a long time (as long as 3-6months).

The Physician :

However, it has to be medically justified by a diagnosis, requiring acid inhibition

The Physician :

So, if the diagnosis was acid reflux, and you cut down on the associated 6 S's called secretagogues.

The Physician :

Soda, Smoking, Spices, Spirits (alchohol), Spacing (your meal times), and Stress

The Physician :

The time it will take to heal depends on the status. Its variable

The Physician :

The least length of time for effective healing will be 6 weeks

The Physician :

The physician would has to re-evaluate you and compare how the throat looked prior to treatment

The Physician :

So do not be worried about the long term effects of the Omeperazole, if it is prescribed for GERD. The benefit far outweigh the risk of any adverse effect (unless you develop allergic reaction to it)

The Physician :

Please don't fail to let me know if you need any more clarifications

The Physician :

Thanks for choosing Justanswer.com