Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I had an implant 9 days ago. I have had great pain and it is

I had an implant 9 days ago. I have had great pain and it is infected. Yesterday I was given penicillin, and the dentist took some pus from my gum. But the dentist could not fine the non-soluble stitches he put in. I consequence I still have pain and some-though less -swelling.I am worried about the stitches still in situ
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.

Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but you may ask anything later on. You don't need to worry about the non-absorbable sutures. There are many cases where we put such sutures in the body and we never remove them. They don't cause any harm to our body. Non-absorbable sutures remain at there place of insertion when the tissues around them are healthy, since in your case there was abscess formation and the tissues were no longer healthy, the stitches got out from the area of insertion. The stitch may have got displaced from the implant or it might have slipped deep inside but in either case you don't need to be stressed because it will not harm you in anyway rather the attempt to find it will be more harmful. As far your pain and swelling is concerned, you have to wait for next 48 hours to expect some results from the antibiotic. It is too early to expect a response from penicillin in such cases. If you are better than before then you are doing good. I hope this helps you. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Dr. Hasan, Thank you for your reply. I thought it might have been the stitches that have caused the infection, my dentist is entirely non-communicative.As suggested, I will wait 48 hours to see if the antibiotic is working. However, the dentist said he had never seen this in an implant before,so is it at all likely the implant is being rejected, or is it more likely that it is some straightforward infection that just happened. I realise that you can only submit an opinion on the basis that you cannot see the problem. Many thanks

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
You are most welcome. The stitch is not likely to cause this infection. If you give my honest opinion, we can't say anything for sure right now because time will tell the story. If antibiotics control the infection, there are fair chances that graft will take up but if they don't then chances of rejection are there. But there is one thing I can say with confidence that chances of rejection are 30%, the chances of take up of graft are 70% so don't get stressed. Keep using your antibiotics and use if you have been given a mouth wash. If not then get any over the counter available mouthwash to prevent further infection. My best wishes and prayers are for you. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery