Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My partner has been taking Alprazolam for years, but now down

My partner has been taking Alprazolam for years, but now down to 0.25mg per day. It seems difficult for her to stop at this last amount. Is it safe to completely stop at this amount? Or what can you recommend to get off it all together?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--can you tell me why she takes it and how exactly it's difficult for her to stop that last amount?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Originally taking it for panic attacks which kicked off after two family deaths. When stopping anxiety keeps building up prompting to take the small dose.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Michael. Even though she's on a fairly low dose now it wouldn't be a good idea for her to stop cold turkey. The most worrisome risk from withdrawal would be a seizure. She really should have a doctor direct a tapering program, but if she were my patient I would have her take the 0.25 mg every other day for two weeks, then every third day for two weeks, and then stop. That should be a long enough taper to stop the withdrawal symptoms. At the same time, more effective medications for anxiety like Zoloft, Celexa, or Wellbutrin could be started now and they could curb the anxiety from stopping the Xanax