Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

How safe is it to have a repeat Myoectomy to remove regrown

How safe is it to have a repeat Myoectomy to remove regrown fibroids one of which is 12 cm in diameter. My last surgery was 5 yrs ago. i am 49 yrs old and do not want a hysterecomy or any thing done to me that will alter how my hormones work.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Having a myomectomy done is safe if you do not have any other medical problems.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

At your age a hysterectomy is also not a bad option and it WILL NOT alter your hormone levels because at your age the ovaries stop functioning. So even if the ovaries are removed along with the uterus you should not have any problems with hormones at a..

Dr. Shahzad MD :

all**

Customer:

I have not gone through the menopause and my ovaries still function and I do not want a hysterectomy

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Ok

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Its your choice.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You can have a simple myomectomy done

Dr. Shahzad MD :

and this should be a safe surgery.

Customer:

even if i have had one done 5 yrs ago?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Should be no problems

Customer:

so they will cut along the same line as before and i will have more scar tissue i suppose?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

They will cut on the same line

Dr. Shahzad MD :

The externally visible scar should be the same.

Customer:

and will it make my stomach flatter as at the moment i look pregnant with this 12 cm fibroid

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes

Dr. Shahzad MD :

12 cm is a pretty big fibroid.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So the lower part of your abdomen will become flatter.

Customer:

yes i can see it side on i look 5 months pregnant because i am a slim person. i hate it. i presume that after the menopause fibroids shrink?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes they do shrink but can take a long period of time.

Customer:

if i left the operation and just waited until menopause could my fibroid keep growing even bigger?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You can have it monitored with ultrasound. But most likely it should not keep getting bigger.

Customer:

Well i really am in a dilemma and dont know what to do as i once had a flat stomach and i dont like the way i look

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I would just have it removed

Customer:

ok thanks

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Take care
Wish you all the best.
Please do rate me for my services before you leave by clicking on one of the smilies below. I hope I provided excellent services.
Tip/bonus is always appreciated.
Goodbye :)