Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hi, my son suffers with acute anxiety and panic attacks, he

Hi, my son suffers with acute anxiety and panic attacks, he is prescribed diazepam10mg per day along with sertraline. he cannot take beta blockers due to his history of asthma. He also has ocd related to contamination and suspicions of being poisoned. He has a history of alcohol abuse, which is now to a minimum . the hospital macc general originally prescribed the diazepam reducing to the 10mg as a maintenance dose. he can just about cope with this amount, but his gp has started to reduce these due to the addictive nature. He constantly asks to see a psychiatrist, but has been referred for cbt therapy, long waiting list. He recently is starting to become more aggressive verbally and physically.he doesn't leave the house unless he drinks alcohol, so chooses to stay home,to prevent this. What do you suggest ? many thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--has he spoken to his GP about a possible substitute for the diazepam?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

nothing offered ? what substitute would you suggest

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I would try either klonipin, tranxene, or ativan as alternatives that don't have the same addiction potential to diazepam. I would also consider Effexor as a better treatment for his problem. He needs to talk to his GP about these other considerations