Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I think I may have bruised a rib somehow, have pain in the

Customer Question

I think I may have bruised a rib somehow, have pain in the same place to the right side of my chest, hurting mostly when I breathe in but also when I bend or crouch down or stretch my arms up. The pain has been there for about a week, possibly longer, so I'm wondering if it's worth going to the doctors to have it checked over or whether there is anything I can do at home to make it more comfortable?

Was also wondering whether it was safe to work through the pain as I may have to do some heavy lifting tomorrow, I'm assuming since it doesn't seem fractured or broken it should be ok in theory (but not advisable)?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--was the any chest wall trauma involved here? Are you actually tender in that area?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm not sure if there was any trauma as I don't know how I've done it, I'm not tender to the touch in that area, just when I breathe and move as above

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Matt-any shortness of breath or cough or fever?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do have a cough, but no shortness of breath or fever

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Matt. Without any actual trauma--although a really intense cough can crack a rib--and no actual tenderness I doubt this is a rib problem. You might actually have pneumonia even without a fever or feeling particular sick. My real concern here--unlikely but has to be mentioned--is a pulmonary embolus from a clot in a leg vein. So basically yes, you need to see a doctor about this just as soon as possible for an exam, chest x-ray, and perhaps a ct scan of the chest
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have actually been experiencing pain in other areas of my chest as well, though I just assumed it was from the way I had been sitting. Thank you for your advice, I will see the GP first thing on Monday.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
My pleasure Matt but please let me know how it goes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr. Chip, thanks again for your advice, went to see the gp today who gave my chest the all clear and thinks i've probably just pulled a muscle. Wouldn't have bothered going to the doctor without your advice, would have stayed worrying i'd hurt my rib. Hope you have a lovely day and i'll be sure in future to ask you for advice if i need :)

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Good to heat Matt--any time