Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

i had a full knee replacement 9 years ago it was great up to

i had a full knee replacement 9 years ago it was great up to a year ago iam a golfer who plays about twice a week i dont carry my bag i use a electric trolly i now find walking down hill very painful my knee swells up and my ankle swells and i have trouble bending my leg i have been told this is all coming from my back as i have narrowing of the spinal colume which i find diffacult to beleive
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--have you had a recent MRI of the knee? Is the bending problem at the knee?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no i have not had amri but i have had an x ray and nothing showed up the mri on my back showed narrow of the spinal canal if that is the the thing to say. as for the bending it is aproblem ie getting in and out the car also sitting on the toilet when i sit i find by extending my leg outwards it helps

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Patrick. Just one more question--have you had a Doppler venous flow study of the leg to look for a clot in a leg vein?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no not recently i did have one just after the op they thougt i had had a dvt but it wasnt so

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Patrick and we can continue after this if you need more information. This doesn't sound like just a problem with your knee replacement and with as much of the leg involved as you mentioned I'd consider other factors. I would repeat the Doppler studies for one thing. While spinal stenosis can cause leg problems usually it's bilateral involvement of both legs and not just the one leg. For that reason I would get nerve conduction studies of the leg to see if there is some involvement with compression of the spinal cord in the spine. Finally, I would get an autoimmune screening to assess whether this might be a rheumatoid arthritis problem
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you vert much your advice is a lot to take on board the problem how do get all that information over to your gp

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Well you can just print this page or just write down my answer verbatim and take that to your doctor Patrick. Let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you