Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Have soft tissue around ankle and my ankle is very painfully

Have soft tissue around ankle and my ankle is very painfully when I walk some times it's like someone stuck a hit needle in my ankle just had X-ray just showed soft tissue
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
Where is this pain relative to the ankle? Is it on the inside? Outside? Behind the ankle? In front? Below the ankle?
Do you mean that the x-ray showed soft tissue swelling?
Which pain killers have you been using?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Pain on outside and in front if ankle tablets naproxen 2 every four hours
Did the x-ray showed soft tissue swelling?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes soft tissue swelling
Thank you for the additional information.

Pain that is on the outside and front of the ankle that is associated with sift tissue swelling is most likely related to inflammation along a tendon sheath called tendinitis, or tenosynovitis. If the pain were only along the outside of the ankle, there would be concern about the ligament on that side, which can be painful from an acute or chronic sprain. It is possible that there could be a mixed problem involving the tendon and the ligaments.

The naproxen is an appropriate first line medicine for treatment of this problem and you have been taking an appropriate dose.

There are several options to consider at this point. It is reasonable to try a different non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicine, particularly one in a different chemical class, such as diclofenac. It may help to apply local care, such as ice, moist heat, and support, such as with an ACE bandage or brace. It may help to put an orthotic in your shoes to provide extra cushioning. There also is an over the counter cream that has been shown to help relieve pain form inflammatory conditions, capsaicin. It has been primarily studied in arthritis of the knee, but has been used for other inflammatory conditions. It is applied to the skin over the site of pain. Another option for persistent symptoms would be to use a steroid for relief of inflammation. The steroid can be administered systemically, but your doctor also may consider performing a steroid injection into the site of the inflammation. This may require consultation with a specialist.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.