Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Could not sleep my heartbeat had gone haywire not a fast rate

Could not sleep my heartbeat had gone haywire not a fast rate just lost the rhythm in the morning it had gone back to normal I take sotalol at night
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide further information.
Do you mean that you had one episode of inability to sleep and your heart going haywire?
Or is this a chronic or recurring problem?
Is the sotalol prescribed for atrial fibrillation?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just one episode sotalol for atrial fibrillation
Thank you for the additional information.

A single episode of difficulty sleeping associated with an abnormal heart rhythm is not worrisome. It was likely a single recurrence of the atrial fibrillation, but was not fast because the sotalol has a slowing action on the heart in addition to the action against abnormal rhythms. In someone with a history of atrial fibrillation, it is most likely that an occasional recurrence would be the cause of such symptoms.

It is true that it is more ideal that there never be a recurrence of atrial fibrillation, but an occasional isolated recurrence that resolves spontaneously is not worrisome.

On the other hand, if there are multiple recurring episode of atrial fibrillation, it would be more concerning and it would be appropriate for you to be seen again for a reassessment of the treatment regimen.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.