Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Hello, is it safe to take 5 antibiotic tablets all at once

Hello, is it safe to take 5 antibiotic tablets all at once to clear the symptoms of what I think could be BV? I've been subscribed Metronidazole.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Can you please name all the antibiotics?

Customer:

The only antibiotic that I have been subscribed is Metronidazole.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You mentioned 5 antibiotic tablets.

Customer:

Yes, I was advised from my GP to take 5 tablets all at once so that it gets rid of the infection quicker.

Customer:

It just seems an awful lot to take all at once.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes you can take 5 tablets at once as this is one regimen that can be used.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

However, I have never used this regimen.

Customer:

Ok and its definitely safe to take them all at once? Is it advised to take the tablets with food?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You can take it with or without food.

Customer:

Would it not make you ill without food as you haven't got anything lining the stomach?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes, it makes some patients ill so you can take it after food.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

It varies from one patient to another.

Customer:

Ok im just worried about the side effects as I have read that some people experience really bad side effects. I was planning on taking the anti-biotics this morning after breakfast

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You can take that.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Usually there are only mild or no side effecs

Dr. Shahzad MD :

effects*

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Its a very safe medication used all over the world by millions of people.

Customer:

Ok thank you. I have just read some awful reviews that's all and have become a bit worried about taking them.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Only those people write reviews who have experienced side effects. So the reviews may be a bit biased.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Take care
Wish you all the best.
Please do rate me for my services before you leave by clicking on one of the smilies below. I hope I provided excellent services.
Tip/bonus is always appreciated.
Goodbye :)

Customer:

Ok well thank you very much for your help, it is much appreciated. There is one more thing?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes sure please go ahead

Customer:

Can I eat anything this morning for breakfast with the tablets? I intend on taking them after I have eaten.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Anymore questions?

Customer:

I have also taken nurofen/something like that this morning for a headache is it ok to still take the anti-biotics as I have taken these aswell?

Customer:

Or do I have to wait a while?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes you can take neurofen as well

Dr. Shahzad MD :

But I would prefer waiting for about half an hour to an hour for taking neurofen.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Just to be on the safe side.

Customer:

So do you mean that I shouldn't take the anti-biotics until half an hour- an hour after taking the neurofen?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

yes

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You can take it

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I mean there is no medical reason of not taking it.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

There is no interaction

Dr. Shahzad MD :

But thats just what I would do.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Just wait for about half an hour.

Customer:

Ok and why is that just out of interest?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Neurofen can cause one to have nausea

Dr. Shahzad MD :

and can cause stomach inflammation rarely.

Customer:

Ok well I took them an hour ago now

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So I just wanted to be sure that when you take metronidazole that the neurofen has already been absorbed.

Customer:

Ok and do you reckon and hour will be long enough for the neurofen to be absorbed?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Anymore questions?

Customer:

Ok thank you very much for your help it has been much appreciated :) that is all thank you.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Take care
Wish you all the best.
Tip/bonus is always appreciated.
Goodbye :)

Customer:

Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine