Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

96 year ols with fluid retention in legs,has now developed

96 year ols with fluid retention in legs,has now developed weeping sores. do we cover them?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
The simple, direct answer is yes, but the overall situation is a bit more complex, so it will help if you could provide some further information.
What is the cause of the fluid retention?
What treatment is being done for the fluid retention?
What is the appearance of the fluid that is weeping from the sores?
Is it clear fluid or does it look purulent or infected?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Clear fluid,seeing a Heart specialist next week.she is on 60mg Furosemide tablets daily and TRYING to get her to keep her legs elevated as much as possible.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Am I still waiting for another reply?

Does that mean that she has been diagnosed with congestive heart failure?
Has she been placed on any form of compression therapy for the swelling?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

investigating whether the problem is caused by the heart, she is currently taking Digoxin 125microgram daily for irratic heart beat. Her legs and knees too big for stockings.

Thank you for the additional information.

Since she has not yet completed her evaluation, it is unclear whether compression would be helpful. If it is found that compression is indicated and her legs are too big for stockings, then it may be better to use a elastic wrap that can also be used to hold bandages in place to cover the areas that are weeping.

Since this is not yet known, it would be reasonable to place simple bandages over the areas of weeping until she is able to be seen to complete the evaluation.

If the area of weeping is larger, it may still require that the legs be wrapped with gauze, however, it is important that any wrap of the leg not be too tight (or it will act like a tourniquet). If elastic bandages are to be used, they will need to be applied in such a manner that the pressure is greater further down the leg and foot, so that there is a squeezing action to help push the fluid up the leg. If an elastic bandage is placed so that it is tighter at any point higher in the leg, it also may act like a tourniquet.

So, yes, it will be appropriate to cover the areas that are weeping with a simple bandage for now, if possible, or if a larger area is weeping, with a gauze wrap that is not constricting.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.