Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My son has query Post Viral Dysmotility Syndrome. Hesuddenly

Customer Question

My son has query Post Viral Dysmotility Syndrome. Hesuddenly starts vomiting constantly unable to eat or drink fluids needs sudden redyration via drip and cyclyzine. He has lost considerable weight 2 stone. He had another episode 2 weeks ago and hasn't been able to eat or drink properly. Just as we thought he was getting over it. He has had stomach pains more weight loss and diarrhoea for 5 days. The stool is very dark brown / black/ green and lots of mucus. No one seems to be doing anything. He hasn't been eating for 3 weeks, and has lost another stone. We thought he might have Crohns or ulcerative colitis but we are desperate now and don't know where to turn My son is only 29 years of age. It started at 21 with a bout of Gastroenteritis and this seems too have started the post viral dysmotility syndrome? he looks dreadful and very thin. The episodes seem to becoming more frequent 5 episodes last year within 4 months. He always seems to have mucus problems in stool constantly with urgency to go to toilet.

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

I agree that there should be concern about the possibility of inflammatory bowel disease, such as Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis. There are a couple of options to consider for the evaluation for possible inflammatory bowel disease. There are blood tests that are non-specific measures of inflammation, such as a sed rate, but the primary evaluation is direct examination of the colon by colonoscopy. Crohn's disease can sometimes only affect the last portion of the small intestine, which may not be seen on colonoscopy, so other tests, such as CT scan, may need to be done.

If his regular doctors has not pursued such an evaluation, then it would be appropriate to see a Gastroenterologist, and it may be necessary to see a private Gastroenterologist.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He had scope last year it was normal
Then it would be appropriate to consider evaluation of the small intestine, such as with a CT scan or a capsule endoscopy.