Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Yesterday I found out that my boyfriend of 18 months whom I

Yesterday I found out that my boyfriend of 18 months whom I live with suffers from bipolar disorder and psychosis. I was getting increasingly worried about his behaviour but had no idea that it was due to this illness and I now know that it is mania. His family and I are trying to get him help now, he is taking medication after going to the hospital and we are figuring out next steps. He last had an episode 10 years ago and seems terrified that he will be hospitalised again yet he is being very hostile towards me. I'm finding it very difficult to cope after finding out so much about him in the last 24 hours. I am wondering if there is anyone I could talk to to get advice on the illness and what may happen next.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Phil, MD :

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Dr. Phil, MD :

please enter chat

Dr. Phil, MD :

Hi I'm Dr. Phil

Dr. Phil, MD :

Can I ask your first name?

Customer: Hi, it's Jane
Dr. Phil, MD :

Hi Jane

Dr. Phil, MD :

nice to meet you

Customer: Nice to meet you too. I am wondering if you can provide any advice on my current situation
Dr. Phil, MD :

Yes, I can

Dr. Phil, MD :

bipolar disorder is basically like being on drugs.

Dr. Phil, MD :

The person really has no concept of how they are acting or why it is bad.

Dr. Phil, MD :

So don't make any harsh judgements on him until he is stabilized on medicine

Customer: I feel very guilty because I had no idea he suffers from this - if he was depressed I would have been concerned but because he seemed elated and was not sleeping much, buying so much stuff he does not need....I thought he was just being silly. I gave him such a hard time as his behaviour over the past week was threatening our relationship. I hope I did not make things worse and stress him out even more.
Dr. Phil, MD :

No, I don't think so

Dr. Phil, MD :

it is not your fault. you had no idea

Customer: He seemed to be so irritated by me and is telling me I don't know what I am talking about - I know this is the illness now but still find it distressing. I hope we can sort this out quickly and get him on the right meds because he is terrified of being sectioned. Is there anything I can do to help him? How should I react when he is nasty to me?
Dr. Phil, MD :

you can't sort it out quickly

Dr. Phil, MD :

be patient and let him get on meds

Dr. Phil, MD :

just don't be mean back

Dr. Phil, MD :

walk away if you have to

Dr. Phil, MD :

tell him that what he is doing is hurting you and you are going to leave for a minute

Customer: Yes this is what I have been doing since I have found out it is mental illness - I have been very patient and calm with him and I have not been reacting to his comments which is very different to this time last week. I know it must be different in every situation but how long does it usually take for someone to come down from these highs and feel normal again?
Dr. Phil, MD :

it might take a couple weeks or longer

Customer: Ok so there is no quick fix even if he is put on the right meds today?
Dr. Phil, MD :

no they take time to work

Dr. Phil, MD :

I'm sorry

Customer: No I understand, thank you for your advice. One last thing, will he remember this episode and stuff he has said?
Dr. Phil, MD :

yes, he will

Customer: Are these episodes normally followed by depression and shame?
Dr. Phil, MD :

not always but many times they can be

Dr. Phil, MD :

was this helpful Jane?

Customer: Yes thank you for your time. If I wanted to speak to someone in person, who should I contact? I am located in London.
Dr. Phil, MD :

I would contact a local drug/alcohol counselor

Customer: Ok thank you very much
Dr. Phil, MD :

you're welcome

Dr. Phil, MD :

would you mind rating positive before leaving?

Dr. Phil, MD :

I greatly appreciate it and good luck to you

Customer: Yes thank you
Dr. Phil, MD :

welcome and thanks

I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)