Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Ive apparently pulled a muscle in my chest and am suffering

I've apparently pulled a muscle in my chest and am suffering severe "musculoskeletal pain" in the right hand side of my chest, around the back of my ribs and in my stomach, the pain is worse when I breathe, move and I'm getting frequent twinges which on a scale of one to ten are at least an eight, probably the worst pain I've ever had.

Anyway I was prescribed codeine tablets and told to take paracetamol with these but having taken four of each today as directed the pain is just as bad. I looked it up and apparently the codeine should have begun to take effect by now, anyway was just wondering if I could get an opinion on it. Thanks very much in advance :)
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. As per symptoms this sound like a pulled muscle along with a pinched nerve. It can be realy distressing and I can well imagine the pain you are suffering from. Yes codeine should have made a difference by now but it is equally possible to have a limited effect in such cases by tablets alone. No response means that you should see your doctor again as you might need stronger pain killers. Getting physical therapy in such cases can hasten the recovery. You must get ask your doctor to get any further investigation provided he suspect anything else. Till you visit your doctor, you can try massaging the area with over the counter bengay gel twice daily. Application of heating pad thrice daily can be helpful too. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.