Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have very dark orange and noticed my eyes are slightly

Customer Question

I have very dark orange urine and noticed my eyes are slightly yellow this morning.
I had stomach cramps on sunday which made me very nauseous with a burning pressure in my lower sternum area, which meant I haven't really eaten much for last couple of days. I didn't actually vomit but had diarrhoea all day Monday and still some cramping yesterday. I drank a fair amount of water yesterday so was surprised by the dark urine this morning. I had thought the stomach/diarrhoea problem was due to eating strange food (business trip to Beirut,Lebanon flew home Monday) but obviously more worried by this mornings yellow eyes/urine.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

You are correct to be concerned about the orange urine and the yellow eyes, which is worrisome for being an excessive level of bilirubin, called jaundice. In the setting of also having abdominal pain, nausea, and diarrhoea, the primary concern would be an infectious hepatitis.

There are several types of hepatitis, including the primary forms of hepatitis (A, B, and C), but also can occur with other types of infection. It is worth noting that the food-borne type of hepatitis (Hepatitis A) has an incubation period of at least a couple weeks, and averaging about 4 weeks, so it would not be due to recent food intake. It is also possible to develop liver dysfunction related to gallbladder disease, so also is on the list of considerations.

When someone possibly has jaundice of unknown cause, it is appropriate to be seen so that a proper evaluation can be done and the cause identified. If the symptoms are more severe, it would be appropriate to be seen emergently, but if the symptoms are less severe, it would be OK to be seen in your doctor's office.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.