Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

hello, I think I have a urinary tract infection. I cannot

hello,
I think I have a urinary tract infection. I cannot pass urine easily and it is very uncomfortable, especially when I drink a lot of fluids. I went to the doctor and he gave me a course of tablets (trimethoprim). I think the problem started when I had sex and didn't expell all the urine from my bladder beforehand. Is there a procedure for this?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
Are you asking whether there is a procedure to help pass the urine?
Did the doctor say whether the infection was in the prostate?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The procedure is something I've had before which involves inserting a thin metal rod into the penis shaft. I don't know the name of the procedure. The doctor checked the prostate and it was fine. He took some urine and didn't find any evidence of a urinary tract infection. He said it was a water infection and didn't seem that concerned. I am on psychotropic medication with one of the side effects being that I pass urine a lot.Could it be possible that semen is lodged in a duct and the urine can't get through to the tip of the penis properly? Thanks

If you have already had the procedure previously, it is unclear what you are asking when you ask if there is a procedure for this.
Or are you asking whether it is possible that there could be an obstruction of the tube that drains the bladder?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just wondered if you had heard of this procedure and is it effective for my symptoms? Do you think there could be an obstruction to the tubes that drain the bladder? Is it worth going to a urology department for further tests or do you think it will go away given time? Thanks, Iain

Thank you for the clarification.

Well, a procedure may be appropriate, but usually only after addressing any infection. There are several types of infections that can occur in men, but the most common type of infection is an infection of the prostate, called a prostatitis. When infected, the prostate can swell and cause a tightness of the tube that drains the bladder. In this situation, once the infection is treated, the swelling will diminish and the urine flow will improve. There also can be an infection of the urethra, itself, called a urethritis, which also can make it difficult to pass urine, and treating the infection will typically ease the symptoms and the flow of urine will improve.

Once the infection has cleared up, then continued difficulty in passing the urine would be worrisome that there is a tight area of the urethra, either because of enlargement of the prostate or from some scar formation in the urethra, called a stricture. Prostatic enlargement is primarily seen in men as they age, but can still happen in men of your age. A stricture also can occur as a complication of infection. In these situations, the procedure would be appropriate, first to examine the area, but also then to allow treatment to relieve the obstruction, either by stretching or removing the tight area.

So, the first step is be certain that any infection that is present has been relieved, and then if the difficulty passing urine persists, it would be appropriate to see a Urologist for consideration of the procedure.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.