Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor ( General Medicine)
9385906

Hi I have also recently been having bad headaches and seeing

Hi I have also recently been having bad headaches and seeing stars in my eyes..could this be to do with blood pressure or lack of iron or something?
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 3 years ago.
Greetings.

Welcome to the site.

I am Dr. Kaushik and i believe i can help you with your problem.

You see headaches with visualization of stars can occur due to many reasons such as mentioned below.

1) Migraine headache

2) Blood pressure changes, both high or low blood pressure can result in this scenario.

3) Low Blood sugar levels.

4) Dehydration / electrolyte disturbances in the body.

5) Anemia (low hemoglobin levels)

So in order to take the right approach to deal with your headaches you shall first get some important investigations and examinations done so that a more conclusive diagnosis behind your symptoms can be known. So i am mentioning below some important investigations which you shall discuss with your doctor and get them done.

1) Blood pressure monitoring in lying / supine, sitting and standing positions on at least 3 times a day for 3 consecutive days so as to rule out or rule in the role of blood pressure changes behind your headaches.

2) Blood sugar levels both fasting and post-prandial ( after meal).

3) Serum electrolytes.

4) Hemoglobin levels.

If the above mentioned investigations come out to be within the normal range then diagnosis of migraine headache shall become more likely diagnosis behind your symptoms.

Meanwhile you can ask your doctor to place you on a drug called as Flunarizine ( generic name) at dose of 10 mg / day to be taken on PRN basis that is as and when required basis to manage your headaches while you get the results of your tests.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a Positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer.