Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
239748

just yesterday I noticed 2 very small very pale light brown

Customer Question

just yesterday I noticed 2 very small very pale light brown patches almost a lighter shade of a birth mark on my back but i have not noticed them before? any suggestions or is this normal
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Gupta :

Hello & welcome! If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.

Dr. Gupta :

This is very likely a normal variation

Dr. Gupta :

BUT here is how we doctors (& patients) should try to evaluate these new patches

Dr. Gupta :

Examine your skin with a mirror. Pay close attention to areas of your skin that are often exposed to the sun, such as the hands, arms, chest, and head.

The following ABCDEs are important signs of moles that could be skin cancer. If a mole displays any of the signs listed below, have it checked immediately by a dermatologist:

• Asymmetry: One half of the mole does not match the other half
  • Border: The border or edges of the mole are ragged, blurred, or irregular
  • Color: The mole has different colors or it has shades of tan, brown, black, blue, white, or red
  • Diameter: The diameter of the mole is larger than the eraser of a pencil
  • Evolving: The mole appears different from others and/or changing in size, color, shape

Keep in mind that some melanomas may be smaller or not fit other characteristics. You should always be suspicious of a new mole. If you do notice a new mole, see your dermatologist as soon as possible. He or she will examine the mole and take askin biopsy (if appropriate). If it's skin cancer, a biopsy can show how deeply it has penetrated the skin. Your dermatologist needs this information to decide how to treat the mole.

Dr. Gupta :

Source

Dr. Gupta :

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/screening-moles-cancer

Dr. Gupta :

What I would recommend is that you watch the patches and get to the doctor if you have any of the above mentioned signs that these may be potentially cancerous

Dr. Gupta :

Warm regards

Dr. Gupta :

Dr Gupta, MD

Dr. Gupta :

Do remember to leave a positive feedback if the response was helpful,

JACUSTOMER-q3tvriii- :

okay many thanks.. it's not so much a mole its just 2 very small circles which are extremely light brown, iv just never noticed them before there on the side f of the lower spine.. they are the same colour through out, very small

Dr. Gupta :

Ok

Dr. Gupta :

I guess these are likely to a normal variation, something like a small freckle?

Dr. Gupta :

In any case a serious problem is unlikely given the description

Dr. Gupta :

I would recommend bringing it up with doctor if the size increases rapidly, there is pain, or any other issues,

Dr. Gupta :

Please remember to leave a positive rating,

Dr. Gupta :

Warm regards

Dr. Gupta :

Dr Gupta

JACUSTOMER-q3tvriii- :

This is a new question, I recently noticed I had a small lump in my abdomen on the right side. And I seem to be experiencing very mild twinges from that area, so I visirdw my gp and he examilned me and said that it was the top part of my liver??..dont understand this..iv also had some slight stomach discomfort but he said to come back if it continues after 2 weeks, its mild pain not severe at all, but just annoying??