DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

My daughter-in-law is having her first baby and is 39 years

My daughter-in-law is having her first baby and is 39 years old and the scan last week looked fine.. She is fifteen weeks pregnant and the test on the back of the baby's neck is 1.8. Today she heard that her blood est was high risk. Do all women over the age of 35 have a high risk result. She is very concerned that it is personal to her.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

hello

Dr. Thomas, MD :

please list all tests and values

Dr. Thomas, MD :

can you enter chat?

Dr. Thomas, MD :

DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
I see you on line, but not responding.
Please put in all lab values and reference ranges?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
This is Dr. David

it sounds like you are worried about downs syndrome for the baby

it sounds like they are measuring the nuchal translucency of the baby's neck. that is one way to try to estimate risks for down's syndrome

increased nuchal translucency greater than 3 mm can indicate that the risks of some genetic disorders and birth defects such as Down syndrome are increased

so 1.8mm nuchal translucency is ok.

not all women over age of 35 are high risks for having a down syndrome baby

new techniques such as noninvasive pre -natal screening (NIPS) test use cell-free fetal DNA sequences isolated from a maternal blood sample

about 10% of DNA in maternal serum is of fetal origin

if this blood test shows high risks for genetic abnormality or down's syndrome, then she needs to talk to her doctor about invasive testing such as amniocentesis or chorionic villus sampling to find out for sure if there is a genetic problem

I hope this helps

best of luck to you and her

let me know if you have questions.