Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have had diarrhea for 5 days now. I did have blood in my

Customer Question

I have had diarrhea for 5 days now. I did have blood in my poop, but that has gone. I have a lot of trapped air and acid. I went to see my gp but she said that even if the poop sample did come back with something that won't give me antibiotics.
What should I do?
As I'm going on holiday next week.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--I assume the stool sample was sent for cultures? I don't quite understand what your doctor said--was she saying even if you had a bacterial intestinal infection she wouldn't prescribe antibiotics? Did she have anything else to say or any suggestions?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you get piles from dirrarea?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
First Lisa--are you still having the diarrhea and can you tell me what makes you think you may have piles?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No diarrhea has stopped, i only poop when I get a lot of gas in my tummy is that normal?

Since the diarrhea my bum hole feels weird. Can you get piles from diarrhea?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Yes you can get piles with prolonged diarrhea. If you have any pain or itching down there you can use witch hazel to cleanse the are and then apply over the counter cortisone cream three times a day for three days and that should take care of it
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Since I had that stomach infection I have a lot of acid and wind. The pit of my tummy feels tender and heavy? Why is that. I'm scared

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
That's common with this Lisa and nothing to worry about. I suggest you try some Zantac or Prilosec or Pepto Bismol for a few days
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My doctor gave me some tablets the begin with o?

is that why I get stomach cramps? Why for the infection leave you like that?

So I will be ok to go on holiday?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Omeprazole--and that's fine. The infection can leave you with stomach cramps for a few days. Yes, it's OK to go on holiday
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The infection went on Thursday, so I don't understand why all this acid and wind. Also tender tummy.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Still nothing to worry about Lisa--it should all clear up in a few more days
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok cause I take them tablets one in morning and one before bed is that ok ?

How would I know if it was something more serious? That is what I'm scared of, cause the pit of my tummy feels tender and heavy as well as cramps.

Also my poop is solid but it is to tone of light brown with some mucs

Is that normal?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Twice a day is fine. The change in your stool is common after this--it will clear also in time. Nothing serious but of course if you're still worried, see your doctor again
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can't see my doctor again as I can't get appointment and i go on holiday wednesday.

If you think that this is All normal. And will all go on its own?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Yes--it's all normal and you need to stop worrying Lisa. Enjoy your holiday
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok as you might of guessed I suffer from anxiety.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I understand but seriously, nothing to worry about Lisa
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just scared incase I have appendicitis? I bet it's me being silly.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
This isn't at all how appendicitis presents Lisa. Sorry but we need to close this page and if you want to talk more with me you'll have to open another page
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So don't have appendicitis?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No you don't
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You don't think I have Gastritis ? Sorry

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Not gastritis per se but I would screen you for H pylori if you're still having symptoms
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would that show it a stool sample? And is it serious?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Nothing serious and either in a stool sample or in a breath test and it's easily treated with antibiotics.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Right ok. You don't think it anything like an ulcer?

I'm still worried

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I know you're worried Lisa but don't be and, no, it's not an ulcer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It just taking a long time for the symptoms to go? Should I carry on with the tablets the doctor gave me?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Continue with the tablets and I'm sure you will be just fine in another day or two
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Any thing I can take for the tummy tightness?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Try apple cider vinegar one tablespoon in a glass of water twice a day
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just scared cause I have mitral valve prolapse. And just scared it will make it worse.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No Lisa--this won't have any effect on your heart, I promise
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

And if I still have all this when I come back from holiday?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I'm sure you won't and Lisa we need to close this page. I'll be glad to discuss all this further with you on a fresh one
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can't we stay on this page plz

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
We can but for now let's have you go on holiday and let me know how you are when you get back
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm just scared? I hate having anxiety

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I understand but we mustn't turn this into a long talk about that. At least hold off getting back to me here until tomorrow
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You think I'm begin silly

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No--I understand how worried you are but you need to take a deep breath and trust me when I say none of this is serious
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, you think I'm over reacting

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Yes in the sense that you think this is something really serious or perhaps deadly. It's a simple stomach bug
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you think my anxiety could have something to do with it.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Certainly that can make your symptoms worse, yes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So do you think I should just forget about it.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
If it were me, I wouldn't be worried at all Lisa
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's just uncomfortable

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Yes, but nothing serious
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Right ok

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Take care Lisa
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I'll be here if you need me
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm having a panic, how would you know if you have abdominal anazyem.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have Gastritis the doctor told me to just continue taking the tablets she gave me for acid in my stomach.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi me again lol my stomach is hurting and I'm scared

Expert:  Dr.Nasim replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to just answer.com
I am an Infectious disease fellow in addition to a medical specialist.
Well, the bloody diarrhea can appear in a number of infections caused by bacteria or parasites.Common pathogens are Compylobacter,salmonella,shigella,E.Coli,C.difficile infection,aeromonas,yersinia and could be because of Amebiasis by Entameba histolytica.Worldwide major cause of acute diarrhea is viral in 30-40% of the cases.A person who is having diarrhea of 2-3 days duration rarely requires work up for that unless diarrhea is sever,bloody and has severe abdominal pain.Workup for a viral infection is rarely done and if at all done does not alter the managemet.Using unpurified drinking water,food from outside,or use of antibiotics for some reason in the past 6-8 weeks can lead to bloody diarrhea.Diarrhea is usually associated with abdominal pain,cramps,bloating,tenesmes (pain while passing stools,feeling of burning,itching in the anal canal)can appear and can be quite discomforting.Sometimes HIV is a cause of diarrhea.Anal intercourse can lead to infection with gonorrhea,syphilis,herpes,chlamydia,amebiasis etc.
But in your case I would say as your diarrhea was self limiting, it does not require further invstigation or treatment.You must e treated symptomatically for bloating and gas and bad feeling in your stomach. You can use Omeprazole/esomeprazole 20 mg twice per day and Tab.Domeperidone three times per day before meals to help your bloatment and you will feel much better within a day or so.

People who are more than 70 years of age,has more than 6 stools per day,severe lower abdominal pain,high grade fever,severe dehydration must be evaluated.

You just try omeprazole and domeperidone and nothing else. If you have any risk factors, must go for evaluation to your doctor.
If you continue to have diarrhea and pain in anal area then gastroenterologist must see you and may need further workup like colonoscopy to look for any pathology like inflammatory bowel disease.

I would be very happy to answer any queries if you dont feel satisfied.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Scared my stomach will bleed