DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I am experiencing numbness in both cheekbones, sometimes both,

I am experiencing numbness in both cheekbones, sometimes both, sometimes one or the other. I have been feeling very feint and wobbly on and off for over a week. two weeks ago had severe chest pains and breathlessness that resulted in my being taken into hospital to check out for heart issues. ECG and blood tests came back ok so they said it was probably anxiety, however, the feintness / dizzyness has increased and now my cheeks feel very odd. i have been light of breathe over the past two days.

have suffered from panic attacks 20 yrs ago but this is not the same at all. Symptoms seem drawn out rather than reactive etc.

any ideas?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
It can be anxiety but I would want to rule out other problems
Neurological: have your doctor do a neurological exam, B12 level, routine labs, and thyroid.

Rule out hyperthyroid. TSH and T4.

Have a holter monitor for the heart at home for 24 hours to make sure they did not miss a rhythm problem.

Since you have new symptoms, call your doctor or go to the ER now.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks for your answer. I want to add some detail (im a single mum of a 4 yr old and cant rush to hospital) as I need to understand any emergency type nature to this or if it can wait until calling for an appointment tomorrow...

I have had bleary eyes for a couple of days on and off too over the same days as dizzyness (although I havent been wearing glasses as they need to be updated so that could be that?)

lastly, in the run up to the chest pains, I found myself sleeping with clenched fists and my hands would feel swollen in the morning. After research, I had put that down to stress.

is this really an emergency or could it wait until I can call the doctors in the morning? (Are you a UK doctor?)

thanks

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
I have no way of telling you that.
But they could easily miss a heart rhythm problem, and thyroid, on your visit, as you did not get monitored, and you probably did not have a TSH level drawn.

It is better to err on the side of safety with increasing and new symptoms.