Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have been having problems with my menstrate cycle it is not

Customer Question

I have been having problems with my menstrate cycle it is not regular. I am also trying for a baby , my doctors have not prescribed abt drugs after 1year of constant visit and complain .what can I do , the last period I did was in March 2014.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--have you had any testing or scans to see what the problem may be?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have had fsh test Lh test oestrogen , progesterone, hcg, prolactin and all the doctors said is that it is okay
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--have your had your thyroid function test and have you had an ultrasound of your pelvis?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I haven't this year as I have not
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Teekay. I can only give you my thoughts here but I think the problem may be your thyroid being too low and that needs to be checked and treated if that's the case. That said the other possibility could be uterine fibroids so you need an ultrasound of the pelvis to check for that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The point is Where I reside now to get the scan done I have to go to the Gp and they have to recommend me for the test, I got unsatisfied with my previous gp and changed my surgery because even those test I mentioned to you I was able to get most if done out of their unwillingness as they do not like patients suggesting solution.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I understand Teekay. Hopefully you can at least get the blood work done and if your thyroid is low your GP can treat that without your having to see a specialist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

well from the blood result the thyroid test came out fine but i wonder why they had never asked me to go for a scan. the very first doctor i met said he would have given me birth control pills to correct my period but he said since im trying for a baby it might reduce my chances of getting pregnant.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, a lot of doctors don't know about the newer guidelines that say if there are any symptoms for low thyroid--and you do have that--that unless the TSH level is below about 2.2 the patient should be considered low thyroid and should be treated for that. So you need that to be rechecked and you need treatment if the level is above 2.2. Please let me know how it goes for you and remember to rate my service to you
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

well i will book an appointment with and see if there is going to be a way out , my sister in africa had the same problem of menstruation but after being treated with and prescribed clomid she got pregnant, it was the explanation of her case that gave the doctor the insight on recommending the fertility test although she disagreed initially saying after trying naturally the solution is ivf.

i have rated your service as excellent ,any final advice as to what i can do.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well get the thyroid checked Teekay. You should consult a gynecologist about the Clomid and the IVF but I think you won't need either of those once your thyroid is treated
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you .

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure--any time