Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hello, I have a small hard lump in a vein on my forearm.

I have a small hard lump in a vein on my forearm. I was sent for a scan with a doctor who then wrote to my GP who told me that it is benign but that it needs to be removed. I was told that it was blood vessels within the vein that are this lump. I have been referred to a vascular surgeon. However, I'm not sure how such a diagnosis can so confidently be made from a scan. I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
What type of scan was done?
Was this a CT scan with contrast?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think it was an Ultrasound scan.

Thank you for the additional information.

An ultrasound is usually not as clear a picture as a CT scan. However, with any scan, there are certain appearances that are indicative of a benign growth and other appearances that are indicative of a cancerous growth. Sometimes, the appearance can be borderline and it cannot be stated whether it appears to be benign or cancerous.

In your case, since the doctor says that it clearly appears to be benign, then the scan must have had the appearance of a benign vascular growth.

In reality, surgical removal is the most definitive test of whether a growth is benign or cancerous because it allows for examination of the growth under the microscope. So, it is appropriate to proceed with the surgical removal that is recommended.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.