Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

This morning I tripped over a curb and one leg just below the

Customer Question

This morning I tripped over a curb and one leg just below the knee has been feeling 'tight' all day and is bruised and my other ankle which turned when I fell feels like it's pulling, though I can move it more or less normally.
I got to work and didn't have much trouble all day except for the bruising being a bit painful, I hardly noticed the ankle until I put on trainers to walk home as opposed to the light shoes I wear at work. I have been walking normally except for the discomfort and feeling of bruising (and feeling my ankle pulling more when wearing trainers).
I have seen different advice to use heat or ice and have been using ice this evening but I'm worried in case I'm doing the wrong thing and what to do if it stiffens up overnight. I have crape bandages I could use if I had to for support but not actual compression bandages as I havn't had to use them except for knees sometimes. Any advice would be appreciated.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am sorry to hear about your problem. As per symptoms it sounds like a sprain. But don't worry I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations over the counter available tab Tylenol two tablets thrice daily should be used for five days. Moreover massage of the area with over the counter available Bengay gel can help. As far as icing or heating is concerned, in first 3 days of trauma, icing is preferred and after that you can switch to applying heating pads thrice daily. Taking bed rest and avoiding physical exertion is very important if possible. Applying compression is required and for that you can apply crepe bandage over the affected area but it should not be tight. Keep your affected leg elevated by a pillow while sleeping. Soon you will start feeling better but if symptoms persist after 3 days or worsen in between get it checked by a doctor but hopefully this will not be required. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** can ask what bengay gel is I have deep heat, or ibuleve, is that similar? I'm not very close to a big pharmacy to get much else and have to walk to it anyway. also is Ibruprofen okay to take.
Standing and walking seems okay, the action of sitting down or standing up is when I can really feel my bruised leg, or going up and down steps. My ankle seems okay with all of it unless I move it in one direction and then it pulls a bit.
I'm also worried about whether walking normally to work tomorrow would be okay if it feels a bit better and whether keeping it still would just make it stiffen up.
Sorry for all the questions, knees I know what to do with but I havn't had this sort of bruising before and it's that that really concerns me.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
You are most welcome. Ibuleve is much better than bengay or deep heat gel. Apply ibuleve thrice daily. Yes taking ibuprofen is equally good but make sure to take 400 mg thrice daily or 600 mg twice daily. Certain muscles and ligaments gets stretched in certain positions and that is why you feel the pain in certain positions but the above measures will address these issues. If you feel better and pain free by tomorrow, you can go to work, otherwise prefer to go by car or prefer to rest for a day. Don't worry you can ask me anything any time and it is my pleasure to help you. I wish and pray that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** just not very good at being stopped in my tracks by this sort of thing! I'll rest it all overnight and see how it feels tomorrow morning, if it's all right to walk on (as long as I don't do anything stupid) I may be able to get to work and then rest it at the weekend and hopefully it'll wear off reasonably quickly.
I was told once it's not a good idea to take ibuprofen and use ibuleve at the same time, I'm not sure if that's true and of the two I suppose the gel would be better as it's on the relevant place?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Irene thanks for getting back to me. Yes I am hopeful that after following my advise you will be able to go to work tomorrow. What you were told was not true. You can safely take ibuprofen and can use ibuleve. The gel is supposed to work only locally but ibuprofen has systemic effect. We prescribe both together and I would suggest you to use them together. They are going to help you. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can I ask another question following on from the last one?
The bruises on m leg are really coming out, I can all with no problem and it's not painful but my leg feels a little 'tight' and hotter than the other one, also there's a patch of red skin where the bruising finishes, above my ankle. I wondered if this is normal as I've started to worry if Nything's wrong or if I should be doing anything.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Can you please send a picture of it here. You can do it as follows.

1. Click the paper clip icon
2. Click the Browse icon
3. Click the Browse button
4. Select your file and click Open
5. Click OK
6. Click Insert
7. Click Save Changes on this page

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, I'm using an iPad so don't think I can do that.
I've just been trying to use heat ( a hot flannel) . It's when I'm sitting I can feel it though I'm fine walking.
Unfortunately my job involves a lot of sitting, I'm used to my ankles getting swollen and feeling tight,I'm not used to being bruised so not sure how it should feel.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Irene thanks a lot for your input. I can understand your concerns. You should have got better than before but so far nothing in your symptoms indicate anything serious. The bruising you have got is haematoma (blood collection under the skin). It is different from what we call blood clot in leg. It might take weeks to go away. Start a pain killer tablet like aleve or advil and you will feel better. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you, because I suffer from stress I get concerned if something goes wrong and then feel worse as stress symptoms like feeling very slightly off balance don't help, so I'm probably 'thinking' it worse when it's normal; I'm fine walking so hopefully it's just that I'm not used to seeing parts of myself black and blue!
Hopefully it'll start wearing off in due course. Thank you again.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Yes you are right, it will start going away with time. Don't worry at all. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.