Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have right abdominal and back pain and a small lump opposite

I have right abdominal and back pain and a small lump opposite the pain on the left could they be connected. I have had ultrasound but nothing is showing. I am taking tramadol 4 times a day
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
Where is this left-sided lump? Abdomen? Back?
Is it tender to press on the lump?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Abdomen and no it's not tender

Thank you for the additional information.

If there is a lump that is located in the abdomen on the opposite side of the pain that is also not tender, it is very unlikely that the lump is related to the pain.

There are many possible causes of non-tender lumps in the abdomen or the skin overlying the abdomen, and we usually are not concerned about these lumps, particularly if there are no abnormal findings on an ultrasound.

Right sided abdominal and back pain can be related to several different problems in the back or abdomen, but they typically would not cause lumps in locations distant from the site of pain.

The next step in the evaluation would typically be guided by the findings on examination, and the location of tenderness on exam is usually the best guide in deciding what should be done next. For example, if there is tenderness over the gallbladder area, but the gallbladder was normal by ultrasound, then the next step would usually be a nuclear radiology test called a hepatobiliary scan. Most people with gallbladder disease have gallstones, which are readily detected by an ultrasound. However, there is a small number of people with gallbladder disease without stones, and the hepatobiliary scan is better at detecting this problem.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had my gall bladder removed 20 years ago

I gave that as only one example how the findings on exam would guide the evaluation to determine the cause of the pain. The non-tender lump would still be unrelated to the pain, even if the gallbladder has been removed. There would still need to be a proper evaluation to determine the cause of the pain, and the next step in the evaluation would be guided by the findings on exam.