DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I get pins and needles in my right hand fingers and thumb mainly

I get pins and needles in my right hand fingers and thumb mainly whenever I attempt to sleep on my right side although it can happen at other times eg. when changing gears on my bicycle. My GP thinks this is carpal tunnel syndrome but two chiropracters both think it is more likely to originate in my neck and shoulder. Which is more likely and what can/should be done. It was a problem some years ago and seemed to improve as a result of special mouse at work but it has come back again and been a problem for several months.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Both are possible, unless the 4th and 5th fingers are involved, then it is most clearly neck.
If this tingling is without weakness, it might be neck at this point.

You need an MRI of the neck, and an ultrasound of the wrist to see for sure, unless the medical exam is clear.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks it sounds more likely to be the neck then as all fingers are affected. On the left side it is much less of a problem but I have do get a little tingling which I am currently experiencing mainly on 4th and 5th fingers. When you talk about the medical exam do you mean the MRI scan or something else? If it is the neck can you say more about what the problem is likely to be? Many thanks

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
MRI is the preferred imaging.
And exam by an MD of physical medicine and rehabilitation.