DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

How can you treat cystic acne only present on the chin and

How can you treat cystic acne only present on the chin and mouth area. I'm also on yasminelle (the pill) but this does not seem to be helpful however this is only my second month (pack) of use.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.

Retinoids are one of the best treatments if scrubs and standard acne approaches have not worked.

Antibiotics are a possibility, but for many reasons I find this to be an inferior treatment.

I am assuming you have tried benzoyl peroxide along with a daily scrub, and that this has not worked.

This requires a prescription however.

Let me know if you have further questions. Use reply to expert as needed. Please do not forget a positive [hopefully excellent] rating. I attempt to be prompt, accurate and excellent.

DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. Yes I agree I do not really want to go down the antibiotic route as the rest of my face is blemish free. I have never had acne in my life so to get these cystic spots around the mouth and chin is a shock especially at 26 years old! Thank you!
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
You are welcome anytime.
Any questions.
Find me by request as needed.
Let me know if you have further questions.
Use reply to expert as needed.
Please do not forget a positive [hopefully excellent] rating.
I attempt to be prompt, accurate and excellent.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Great response . Just one final question what retinoid cream would you recommend? Does this require a prescription?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
It requires a prescription.
See this write up.

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/acne/topical-retinoid-medications-for-acne

Use reply to expert as needed.