Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

HI, I am working in Mozambique at the moment and need advise

HI,
I am working in Mozambique at the moment and need advise as I am not in a city so medical help is not very avaliable. I am a 35 Year old female who had a child by emergency C section 11 months ago. I got my first period since having the baby last week. I jolted my back 10 days ago but it didn't start to hurt until the following day - it was over 24 hours later. Since then I have had pain in my lower back with has now risen to my middle back. I assumed it was muscular or period pains as I did suffer with back ache previously when I had my period. Then yesterday it started to hurt when I urinated. It only hurts at the end of the pee and at the end it feels like I need to urinate a bit more. The pain is internal and not in my vagina. It is not a shooting pain, more like a dull ache. I can get antibiotics here if needs be but would need to know which type if you think that would help. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

The symptoms that you describe sound most typical for a urinary tract infection, or UTI. There are several antibiotics that can be used for a UTI, but the most common antibiotic used for first line treatment would be a combination of trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole, which in this country goes by a couple of different brand name, either Bactrim or Septra.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would Amoxicillin work as I know I can get that here?

Amoxicillin will work fairly well. It is not quite as good as the trimethoprim and methoxazole, as we are seeing more amoxicillin resistance, but it will cover about 80-90% of the germs that are covered by the trimethoprim and methoxazole.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok I will try and get the ones you suggested but being here, I'm not so sure. Is there anything worrying I should look out for and how long would this normally take to clear up? Just gives me a better idea as to how to deal with this here. Thanks

UTIs will usually clear up relatively quickly because your body clears antibiotics out of the body via the urine, so the concentration of antibiotic in the urine is much higher than in other body tissue. So, most people notice dramatic improvement within 2-3 days. The primary worrisome signs would be signs of worsening systemic infection, such as increasing pain, fever, nausea or vomiting.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok thank you I will go to the local pharmacy and try and get this. I will leave this thread open incase he only has different things but I should be there in 10 mins

Very good.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Got the correct ones you said. I'm amazed! Will start tonight at 6pm as they said 2 every 12 hours. If there is no marked recovery in about 4 days how do I contact you again?

Thank you so much

Brodie

If necessary for this question, you can respond in this post. Even after providing a positive rating and closing the question, you can open the question again and ask a follow-up question.

If you have a different question for me in the future, you can post the question as you did this one and direct it to me.