Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I suffer systemic lupus and here of late I am having attacks

I suffer systemic lupus and here of late I am having attacks of pains in my hands and elbows when I do anything repetitive.can you please help
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--is this new for you and is the pain in the hands just in the joints themselves? Do you take anything specific for your lupus?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
And the pain is only during the times that you're doing repetitive motions? And again is this just a recent occurrence?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Only when I am doing something repetiitive or when I lift or carry anything heavy.Yesi it is a symptom that has just developed over the last week
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Ann. Of course one of the symptoms of systemic lupus is joint pain but if this is cropping up so suddenly it's more likely a case of bursitis and maybe some ordinary arthritis. You should have you doctor check things out but for now you can try some topical capsaicin cream, glucosamine/chondroitin, and Omega 3 fatty acid supplements