Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I sliced the top of my left index finger, just above the top

I sliced the top of my left index finger, just above the top joint 6 months ago. It was done with a ceramic knife and was a deep but clean cut. I went to A & E where a Dr examined it and glued and steri-stripped it. It was extremely painful and the top of the finger was numb, after 2 weeks of changing dressings daily I was able to remove the steri-strips and hoped the pain would subside.

The finger has healed (from looking at the outside) but the top of the finger is still numb and where the cut was it is very painful to touch. I mentioned it to a Dr friend who said that I probably cut a nerve and it would take ages to go back to normal. But I am wondering if this pain will ever go away. Can you offer any advice?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi You likely did cut the nerve and if it's still numb it's very unlikely the feeling will come back totally, but the pain could either be from tendonitis or perhaps a neuroma--a swelling of the cut nerve ending. You need an MRI of the hand to see what's going on and if it's tendonitis a cortisone injection may help. If it's a neuroma you might need surgery for that