Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I am on a drug for crohns called Adalimumab also on

I am on a drug for crohns called Adalimumab also on Citalopram for anxiety and depression are the two compatable?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. Have you started these drugs or you are going to start? If you are already on it, since how long you have been taking them? Do you have any further specific questions about these drugs? Please provide the info so that I may be able to answer everything you want. Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have been on Adalimumab injecting 40mgs once every 14 days for one year now
I took citalopram 10mgs for seven days and now increased to 20 this is my 5th day on 20. Also how long can I expect the asociated nausea from this to last?

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Izzie thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your illness. I am going to address your primary concerns but you can keep asking anything you want. Yes Adalimumab and Citalopram both are compatible with each other. There is no drug interaction between these drugs. You can take them together safely and can expect good results. This is too early to expect a relief from your depression. Citalopram take 21 days to 28 days (3 to 4 weeks) to start showing its effects. The nausea can take this much time to go away but during this time you can start over the counter available tab dramamine thrice daily to help your nausea. You must take it 30 minutes before your meals. You can take it for one week and by that time your nausea will go away If it doesn't then you must see your doctor to get examined to and to get yourself ruled for any other cause of this nausea. So you should wait for 2 to 3 more weeks with citalopram to get some good effect. I hope this helps you. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards