Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I am a male 68 years old . first of all i scraped my elbow

Customer Question

I am a male 68 years old . first of all i scraped my elbow while on holiday in sharm el sheik ,about 2 weeks after returning home my elbow developed a big lump and my arm swelled up . i was put on anti biotics and it helped clear the problem.but since then i,ve had a chest infection which is ok now .Now i have developed pains all over my body don,t know if it is muscles or bones but my blood test came back saying i had high uric acid in my blood. Doctor say,s it is gout but i have no swelling in my joints.Iam taking ALLOPURINOL 100mg a day .ihave no ease what so ever and would like to have some advice if you could. thank you. Bruce Strickland
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi Bruce--may I ask why the doctor thought you needed antibiotics for the lump in your elbow? Are the various pains you have now in joints or otherwise? Was anything else tested in the blood work besides your uric acid level and have you ever had any joint problems before this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the doctor said it was bursitis i just can,t tell where the pain is ,it is so bad no swollen joints can.t understand why he said it was gout because most sights on internet say you get swollen joints

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK. Were you screened for Lyme disease and for autoimmune disorders?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no i don,t think so just normal blood tests

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Bruce. This isn't gout and it's not from an elevated uric acid. It could either be Lyme disease even if you've been unaware of a tick bite, or it could be lupus or rheumatoid arthrtitis even if there's no swelling in your joints. I suggest you revisit your doctor and ask for blood tests for both those possibilities.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i have been to see a specialist and i have Polymyalgia and have been put on Prednisolone thank you . Bruce.