Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Hi , I have for the last month had stiff and sore fingers and

Hi , I have for the last month had stiff and sore fingers and toes ( especially fingers ,where the middle knuckle joints are slightly swollen ) it's painfull to stretch my fingers open in the morning. This seems to have come on all of a sudden, not gradually. I play golf 3 times a week, and it's very painful to hit the ball. I tried stopping the golf for 10 days to see if things improved, but symptoms remained the same. I am otherwise a very fit 52 year old male, practice yoga 5 times a week, mountain bike & Kitesurf. I have for 20 years taken omega oil and other joint supplements. I have a very healthy diet ,I don't eat meat , only fish.

***** *****
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. Your description is quite consistent with arthritis. The soreness and stiffness you have mentioned is seen in arthritis. The stiffness or pain in the morning which gets better after a while is called morning stiffness and is characteristic of arthritis. Don't worry I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations over the counter available tab aleve twice daily can be started and it will relieve most of your symptoms but later on you should take appointment from your GP and should get tested for arthritis. The tests you may need include RA factor, ESR, X rays of the involved joints etc. I hope this helps you. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would arthritis come on within a couple of days and in all my fingers at once? , this started 2 days into a 2 week golf trip 6 weeks ago, and symptoms have remained since. I forgot to mention that I do motorcross/Enduro motorbike riding twice a week wich involves very strong gripping.

Mark
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Mark thanks a lot for your input. Yes arthritis can present within couple of days and can involve joints suddenly. There are many types of arthritis, some are permanent and some are temporary. Arthritis just means inflammation of joint and for finding the exact cause you must undergo the tests as explained above. The first step you need to take is to start Tablet Aleve and if it resolves your symptoms, you may not need anything further. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery