Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I AM A 66 YEAR OLD FEMALE AND FOR SOME MONTHS NOW I HAVE BEEN

I AM A 66 YEAR OLD FEMALE AND FOR SOME MONTHS NOW I HAVE BEEN SUFFERING FROM A VERY BITTER tASTE IN MY MOUTH, I HAVE HAD ALL MY TEETH REMOVED, I AM ALSO EXPERIENCING EXCESS SWEATING AT ALL TIMES, I SUFFER FROM HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE FOR WHICH I AM ON MEDICATION. I FEEL BLOATED AT ALL TIMES, ON THE WHOLE I FEEL ABSOLUTELY AWFUL. I HAVE SEEN MY GP TWICE NOW BUT TO NO HELP. I AM VERY WORRIED PLEASE HELP I AM DESOPERATE. YTHE TASTE IN MY MOUTH IS UNBEARABLE.
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 3 years ago.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hello would you like to chat on this? Scroll down to see my messages. Please type into your message box and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send the message so that we can have a live chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

what tests have been done for you?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Please type your response and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send your message so that we can chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello I was trying to chat live with you but this does not seem to be working. I am now switching to the Q&A mode. Please hold on while I type out your answer. Do not rate now though the system may prompt you. I will be back with your answer in a couple of minutes.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

havent had an answer to my quwetion yet. i would like a live chat if possible

I am an ENT specialist.

To determine whether the badtaste can be cured or not, the cause of the bad taste taste has to be determined first.

There are many causes of bad taste.

Nose conditions: Smell is an essential part of taste and any condition that causes loss of smell will cause bitter taste. Sinusitis will often cause a loss of taste or biter taste. A small sinus somewhere may be blocked and contain pus, this will not be enough to give you other symptoms but may cause bitter taste. Other nasal diseases like polyps, atrophic rhinitis of the nose, etc, will also cause bad taste.

Neurological smell disorders: People also develop bitter taste due to some neurological reasons which are not completely understood as yet. Several neurological disorders like Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's disease, multiple sclerosis can cause bitter taste. Diabetes can also cause bitter taste, presumably since it affects the nerves.

Smoking: Smoking, bad oral hygiene, use of cocaine, etc. will cause decrease in taste or bad taste.

Trauma: head injuries can cause lack of taste, if the nerves are completely cut, or abnormal or bad taste, if they are injured.

Tumours: Some tumours in the olfactory region of the nose or in the hippocamus of the brain, may produce lack of taste more commonly,and occasionally bad taste.

Psychogenic: Psychogenic causes of loss of taste are perhaps the most common cause. They may occur due to depression, anxiety, stress, etc.

You should consult an ENT surgeon, you will need a CT scan of your Paranasal sinuses and also your brain skull base. Your doctor may also do smell and taste tests or refer you to a neurologist for the same.

Once the cause is determined, your doctors can work towards a cure.

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

I trust my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.