DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Please can you help, I am worried sick about my mum. She is

Customer Question

Please can you help, I am worried sick about my mum. She is having a lot of trouble swallowing food, and is living on soup at the moment and soft foods. If she eats meat it tends to stick in her throat and she has to bring it back up. When she does this, it comes up in a kind of mucus. The doctor is sending her for a camera down her throat but no idea when that will happen. She also has rheumatoid arthritis and another condition which I can't remember the name of but I think it begins with "C" where her upper ribs hurt. I am so worried, can you help. She is 74 years old. Thanks
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
The condition is costochondritis, inflammation of the ribs.

She might have a stricture in the esophagus.

Sometimes these can simply be dilated on scope.

But they have to make sure that this is not a more severe lesion, such as cancer, but that is more unlikely.

It can simply be severe reflux with some esophageal spasm as well...which is quite common.....

The scope [when the doctor looks down with the camera] is the best way to get to the bottom of this.

Let me know if you have further questions.
Use reply to expert as needed.
Please do not forget a positive [hopefully excellent] rating.
I attempt to be prompt, accurate and excellent.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help.

I am absolutely terrified of it being cancer as she smokes. She has no other symptoms though, although her thyroid gland is apparently a little swollen as she had a para thryoid operation years ago. She is in no pain with it whatsoever and can eat things like soup, cake, chocolate, just not meat and other things.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Cancer is still less likely than the other problems.
And in fact patients with RA have more GERD [reflux disease] and this is often more severe.

So, don't worry and wait for the scope.

Use reply to expert as needed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Anytime
Any questions.
You can find me by request on any day.
dt

Use reply to expert as needed.