DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I am 74 yrs of age. I have persistant swelling of the feet/ankles

I am 74 yrs of age. I have persistant swelling of the feet/ankles (making it very difficult to walk any distance), inner side of elbows, wrists, knees & legs in general. I am obese - weighing 16st 6lbs at height 5ft 6ins, but find it extremely difficult to lose a significant amount of weight. In my youth, right up to middleage (65+) I was of normal weight range - 9st to 11st when I retired at age 63. Medication:- Lisinopril + Bendroflumethiazide for high blood pressure, amitriptyline (for restless legs), simvastatin, Qvar inhaler, Salamol inhaler for occasional use. I also use Dovobet & Eumovate ointment for persistent psoriasis & have fairly widespread arthritis for which I'm prescribed 500mg Paracetamol. I also suffer from perennial allergic rhinitis. A real cocktail of drugs, but I would really appreciate some advice re. the oedema.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Thanks for this question

A great deal of the edema is due to being overweight. Over time, the veins in the legs break down and can't pump anymore. This causes swelling of the legs and pooling of blood in the legs

There are a few things that can help

1)leg elevation whenever possible and as high as you can get them

2)low salt diet. This is big

3)compression stockings. These can help return blood to the body from the legs and help with edema
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I appreciate that my obesity is a large part of the problem, but I find it almost impossible to lose as I say, a significant amount of weight, as exercise is very difficult, & I have a healthy diet, with few "lapses". It has been suggested to me recently that the drugs may be a part of the problem & it is true that I didn't have a weight problem before I was taking all these drugs. My husband of 54 yrs (who is coincidentally slim & eats the same food) reminds me that my ankles always used to swell in hot weather or when flying when I was younger.

Did you get your thyroid checked

you may have a thyroid issue
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did have my thyroid checked (blood test) some time ago - think about 2 yrs now & nurse told me it was "about the middle of Normal". Do you think there would be any point in my requesting another blood test?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
First answer did not tell me anything I didn't already know. Am still waiting for response to my last email
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Thyroid is not normal unless the TSH is between .3 and 3.
Labs say normal is up to 4.5.

Over 2.5 can be hypothyroid.

Yes, you should get this rechecked so you know the exact value.

Let me know if you have further questions.
Use reply to expert as needed.
Please do not forget a positive [hopefully excellent] rating.
I attempt to be prompt, accurate and excellent.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Dr Thomas. Will do as you suggest.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
You are welcome anytime.

I am here daily.

Use reply to expert as needed.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.