Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Hi started off on citalopram 20mg 3 weeks ago but just cant

Hi started off on citalopram 20mg 3 weeks ago but just can't sleep so I have been prescribed mirtazapine 15mg to help me with sleep can these two be taken together? Thanks katie

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

These two drugs have a potentially dangerous interaction in that when used together they increase the serotonin levels which can cause serotonin syndrome.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Therefore I would confirm from your doctor whether he is sure he wants to use these two drugs together despite this interaction.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Let me know if you have more questions

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Rate me for my services when you are done asking.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Kindest Regards

I have answered your question above. Let me know if you have
any further questions. Rate me for my services when you are
done.
Kindest Regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Should I just stop the citalopram then as it is causing a constant ringing in my ears..will I get withdrawals from being on it 3 weeks? Thanks
You should not getting any major withdrawal symptoms since you used it for only three weeks but I would prefer that you should talk to your doctor before stopping it. Rest is up to you.