Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Why does my BP collapse every few weeks (70/30 typical)?

Customer Question

Why does my BP 'collapse' every few weeks (70/30 typical)? I have to go to A&E, nothing is done save put me on a saline drip and stop my amlodipine (5mg) and thyroxine (150 micro gms) tablets for 24 hours when my BP returns to normal and I am sent home
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--when did this first happen and have you had a full cardiac workup?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Had stent fitted to cardiac artery Oct 12. This phenominon started about Jan 13, and happens about every 2 months.

I do not know what a 'a full cardiac workup' is. I have no faith in my local hospital or my consultant. What is the best cardiac investigative unit, and who is the best girl/guy there?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Let me ask some more questions first Shirley. Have you had your thyroid functions and cortisol levels checked?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Complete thyroidectamy after thyroid cancer. Thyroid function test with thyroid oncologist every 12 months - keeping my T4 and T3 levels high so that there is no call on any remaining thyroid material to produce as this may stimulate more thyroid cancer.

As far as I know never had a cortisol level check - do not know what this is.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
An adrenal gland hormone that does affect blood pressure when it's low. I understand the trying to keep the T4 and T3 levels high but what are you taking to do that?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am taking 175mg /150mg of levothyroxine on alternate days to ensure high T4 and T3 and low TSH

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Shirley--and we can continue after this if you'd like. Your TSH is the key here and unless it's around 1.0 or less you are still basically hypothyroid and that could be the blood pressure problem. Alternately, you need your cortisol levels check since as I said it can cause a low blood pressure problem, especially if you needed fluids when you were in the ER. So you need to discuss all this with your doctor