Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I have osteoarthritis. Left and right hip replacements. Right

Customer Question

I have osteoarthritis. Left and right hip replacements. Right knee replacement. Spinal fusion in lower back. COPD & asthma I am also diabetic, on insulin. I am taking Oxynorm-10mg & 20mg. One 10mg for daytime & one 20mg at night for the pain. Recently I have been more breathless than usual. I am always extremely tired. I have had several blood tests. My ESR has gone from 26 to 36 to 44 and the recent one is 54. My white blood cells have also gone, but I cannot remember what that is! My GP has referred me to hospital to see a Rheumatologist. Can you tell me the normal range for red cells count and white cells count. Have you any ideas of what this could be and why the referral to a Rheumatologist? I would be grateful for any info you can provide. My GP seems to be reluctant to let me know very much.
***** *****.
PS. Reading the above It seems that I would be better off going to my local vet and being "put to sleep"!!!
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

The sed rate indicates inflammation

Rheumatologists generally deal in this

I see no signs of autoimmune disease.

I question this referral.

Seems to me that your heart needs investigated
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you tell me what a normal red cell count is? Why do you question this referral? Why do you think my heart needs investigation?

Normal hemoglobin is 12

I question it because I see no signs of autoimmune disease

You are short of breath. If it's not your heart, your lungs need checked
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I recently had a chest x-ray and was told that my COPD has not got any worse. Its just that my shortness of breath has got worse but when resting my breathing returns to normal after about 8-10 minutes. Would the x-ray have shown anything about the heart. Do you think the red cells count of 54 could be due to an infection somewhere?

-

The xray wouldn't show your heart

you need a stress test

The red cells of 54 could be a sign of infection but it's non specific
I noticed that our chat is not complete.

My main goal is your 100% satisfaction and for you to consider this service excellent. If you are not 100% satisfied, just click reply and I will happily provide more information.