Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hello I wonder if you can help me and my son, I have been jet

Customer Question

Hello I wonder if you can help me and my son, I have been jet washing the path today and noticed that there was blood where the window fitters had cut themselves some months ago in the sealant and on the door, I had a small operation around the 11th May to remove a port a cath I had for my Breast Cancer treatment, as I was washing around the door where the blood was the water was splashing all over me in my face and around my chest where the scar from my operation, could I catch HIV from this.
Also my son was spattered with blood in a nightclub from somebody who said they were HIV positive. He has had two blood tests for HIV both was Negative, but he is still worried.
I hope you can put both our minds at rest.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Glad to put your mind at ease but just one question--how long ago was your son splattered and what were the dates of his tests?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
About two months ago
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Jane. As for you--absolutely nothing to worry about. The window fitters' blood was way to old to have contained any viable HIV virus. Of course, if you're still worried about that talk to your doctor but I'm sure he'll tell you there's no chance you contracted HIV that way. As for your son, that scenario would carry a very slight--but not zero--chance of his being infected but to be absolutely certain he needs one more test in about a month to firmly conclude that he's HIV negative.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So I have nothing to worry about, but my son would need a third test in four weeks
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Exactly and so far there's about a 98% chance that he is truly negative but it will take one more negative test at that time to prove that 100%
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So I can relax and my son can almost relax, but he is worried of course
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Tell him to try not to worry and if it were me I would only be a little concerned still but the odds are very much on his side that he's negative--he'll just have to wait it out one more month
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does the HIV virus survive very long outside the body? Because he was wearing the bloodstained TShirt after for a day or so ( he is a university student) and he wore it in the car could the virus transfer to the seatbelt and then when I sat in the car with my operation scar could this have transferred the virus into my scar?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
The HIV virus only survives only until the fluid dries and that's usually just a few hours outside the body. So again, you don't have anything to worry about Jane. You really have nothing to worry about here but discuss this with your doctor to so you can completely put that fear to rest. Let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you