Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My 24 year old son has accidentally taken two otc antihistamines,

My 24 year old son has accidentally taken two otc antihistamines, containing 10mg Lotatadine. He is also taking 7.5mg of the anti-psychotic Olanzapine, will he be ok?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, he will be OK.

The only potential concern in this situation is that the higher dose of loratadine along with the olanzapine may cause excessive drowsiness. It would not be at a level that would be dangerous unless he were to perform any activity that requires alertness, such as driving. The potential effect would be greatest while the drug levels are at their peak, so for the next four hours or so, but it would be appropriate to be cautious for the next day, since the loratadine is a long-acting antihistamine.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.