Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I was diagnosed with labyrinthitis 2 months ago by my GP. I

I was diagnosed with labyrinthitis 2 months ago by my GP. I now have a severe tremor as well as the previous symptoms. My GP now thinks it not to be labyrinthitis and has referred me to a neurologist. What illnesses will they be looking for? This is having a big impact on my career as an office manager aswell as normal day life. I'm really concerned as no one can seem to tell me anything and I'm desperate to find out what is wrong with me so I can begin to live a normal life again.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

What kind of tests have you had done on you till now?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

What medications are you on?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Can you please elaborate your symptoms that you are experiencing at the moment.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Please let me know.

Customer: Thank you for your reply.
Customer: i was given antibiotics, prednisalone and prochlorperazine. I am also an asthmatic and have been for 40 years.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

ok

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Please continue

Customer: My symptoms vary from day to day and can vary throughout the day. I feel extremely tired, fuzzy head like I'm not quite engaged with what's going on. I have balance problems, visual disturbance, tremor, dizzy spells but not vertigo or nausea. I sometimes cry and get upset easily but I think that's probably because I don't understand why I feel like this. I find it difficult to walk in a straight line. Lack concentration and am socially detached as I don't have the interest or enthusiasm or energy to engage in conversation which is not me atall. I'm shaky, difficult coordination, headache, bowel and bladder problems which are probably unrelated.
Customer: There are other symptoms, I get forgetful and my husband gets annoyed as he says I don't listen or pay attention but I don't realise I'm doing it.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

The reason why they are referring you to a neurologist is that you may require something like MRI of your brain to rule out things such as a tumor in the brain that can possibly cause things like this.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I would also like that you should have a thyroid hormone test done as well because a deranged thyroid function can cause these symptoms as well.

Customer: I've only been examined by my GP and this is the first he has suggested he thinks there is something else wrong other than labyrinthitis.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes I agree with the GP

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I think that you should have a complete blood workup in addition to a thyroid function test as well as MRI or a CT scan of your brain to make sure everything is okay.

Customer: Sorry, I should have mentioned I have had blood tests which were all normal
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Ok good.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So the purpose of referring you to a neurologist is to have imaging studies of your brain done to make sure they are normal.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

To rule out anything organic in the brain or inner ear.

Customer: someone suggested I may have ms aswell as other things but I think it's the not knowing that is causing the frustration. Thank you very much for your advice
Dr. Shahzad MD :

MRI will rule MS out as well if that is something that is being considered.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Take care
Wish you all the best.
Please do rate me for my services before you leave by clicking on one of the smilies below. I hope I provided excellent services.
Tip/bonus is always appreciated.
Goodbye :)