Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine, Ivy League trained
16455829

Following a serious head injury, I had a craniotomy in February.

Customer Question

Following a serious head injury, I had a craniotomy in February. They made an incision just back from my hair line, from just above my right ear, up to the centre of my forehead. I have been left with a loss of touch sensation in my scalp, together with a tingling, gripping feeling, which is always moving and changing. My question is, could the incision have damaged, or even severed, a branch of the supra-ocular nerve? Would this have been anticipated, or even inevitable? The numb area seems distinctly demarcated, extending back from the incision scar to the crown, about 2-3 cm wide, and feels slightly oedematous when pressed. I have no headaches, and have a confident sense of the annoying sensations all being OUTSIDE the skull. I am 65 years old, otherwise fit and well, with no other neuro symptoms at all. Yours sincerely, ***** *****
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Natasha :

hello

Dr. Natasha :

are you still there

Dr. Natasha :

ABSOLUTELY

Dr. Natasha :

the surgery can definitely traumatize superficial nerves

Dr. Natasha :

And so they cause this type of pain, also known as neuralgia

Dr. Natasha :

another possibility worth exploring is neuralgia coming from the one of the nerves in the neck, which innervate the head

Dr. Natasha :

sometimes you may have a spinal narrowing (stenosis) or herniated disc which can cause similar pain

Dr. Natasha :

You may want to get a MRI of the neck

Dr. Natasha :

I hope that this helped
please leave positive feedback if it did
use reply for clarification