Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Im scared my stomach is hurting

Customer Question

I'm scared my stomach is hurting
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
Could you provide a more detailed description of the pain?
Where is the pain? What type of pain (sharp, dull, burning, cramping)?
Is there anything that precipitates or eases the pain?
Are there any associated symptoms?
How long has this been bothering you?
Are you scared of any particular condition?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have Gastritis from bacteria

If you already know the diagnosis, what question do you have?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm scared my stomach will bleed.

Has your doctor prescribed medicines for the problem?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes a tablet that begins with o and a antibiotics that begins with e

Omeprazole?
Erythromycin?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes. Just scared my stomach will bleed,

The best protection against bleeding from gastritis is appropriate treatment of the condition.

The common bacteria that causes gastritis is called H. pylori. The recommended treatments for H. pylori-associated gastritis involves using one medicine to suppress acid, such as omeprazole, and two different antibiotics. The two most commonly used antibiotics are amoxicillin plus clarithromycin (an antibiotic similar to erythromycin, but with less GI side effects). Using omeprazole and erythromycin may work for some people, but the triple drug therapy is more effective, so would provide the best protection against worsening of the disease process.

The vast majority of people with gastritis do not suffer bleeding, but you are correct that it is one of the possible complications of gastritis. The risk of bleeding will be significantly diminished with the medicines that you are taking, but a triple drug regimen would provide the most protection.

So, if you want to minimize the risk for any complications of gastritis, including bleeding, then the best course of action would be to ask your doctor for triple drug therapy.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Will i be ok with the tablets I'm on to stop bleeding as I'm on holiday?

As I said above, the risk of bleeding will be significantly diminished with the medicines that you are taking, but a triple drug regimen would provide the most protection. Whether this is considered to be OK would depend upon your perspective. If it were me, I would consider it OK to wait until I was home, but I also would not have had the fear that you originally expressed.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So you don't think I should be scared that my stomach will bleed

No, for all the reasons noted above.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Will it go?

I have already answered that above.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry is that a yes or no, I don't want this forever.

Even if you intend it as a yes or no question, it is not a yes or no situation. The best that can be said is which regimens are better at clearing the infection, which are noted above, but there is no treatment that works 100% of the time. So, it is impossible to answer it as yes or no.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I only got all this from eating chicken

The treatment would be the same regardless of the source of the germ.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Right ok i just hate all the gas it gives me I just hate it.

Then get the better treatment regimen noted above.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will when I get home, should I just eat bland food with this

Typically no. It was recommended at one time, but was found to not be helpful, so is no longer recommended.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Right so i can eat or drink any thing?

Cause the bacteria in my stool sample was heilobact.

Caffeine stimulates acid release, but otherwise, anything can be eaten or drank.

The proper spelling is Helicobacter, which is the "H" in H. pylori above.

Please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.