Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

hi i have had an intense headache for 3 days now. painkillers

hi i have had an intense headache for 3 days now. painkillers have only a mild effect. i have a stiff neck and upper back as well as a slightly lumpy throat. pain is worst on the top of my head and behind the eyes.
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Dear customer

Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-

Do you have fever?
Any previous history of such headaches?
Nasal congestion?
Cough?

I am waiting for your reply.
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no fever

no previous history

no nasal congestion

no cough

Dear customer,
Thank you for providing quick additional info.

You need to go to ER.

The symptoms you are having of intense headache,stiff neck & upper back you are having for 3 days can be due to a condition called meningitis.

Meningitis is mostly caused by a bacterial or viral infection that began elsewhere in the body, such as in the ears, sinuses, or upper respiratory tract.

Other possible causes can be:muscle strain or sprain,tension headache,stress headache,migraine.

Stiff neck & sudden fever is typical symptom of meningitis.

Migraine or tension headache or meningitis seems to be the most probable cause of your symptoms.

You need following tests:

-Blood culture
-Chest x-ray
-CT scan of the head

Antibiotics or anti viral medications need to be prescribed accordingly.

So for confirmation,I advice you to go to ER to have these tests done so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you *****
Dr. Robert