Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I tested positive for DNA antibodies about a month ago. I was

Customer Question

I tested positive for DNA antibodies about a month ago. I was sent to see a rheumatologist who said he thought it was a false positive because I seemed fine with no rash on my face
. But he did say I had sjogrens as my moth is always dry and my eyes are dry. he did a test on my eyes and after 5 mins my eyes showed to be very dry. I explained I have sore muscles and joints in my legs which had been put down t a synovial cyst. But as this cyst had now been removed and spine fused I was still in pain. He said I only needed to see him if my doctor thought it was necessary after they did not blood tests. These tests have now come back and show: Positive homogonous ANA and positive for anti DNA bAb by Bioplex enzyme immunoassay. Crithidia negative.
I had a very bad red rash on my face a couple of years ago and even now I make sure I cover my nose and side of nose with makeup which is red but not really a rash. I have headaches, I feel I cant cope and I am fed up of not being able to walk up satirs properly. After the op in Sept I could walk etc but recently everything has got worse and worse. I am 57 and feel 90 at times.
I see the rheumatologist tomorrow but need to know what I need to say to him and if the results really do show Lupus. I need to be as informed as possible because I am beginning to lose faith in the medical profession.
I suppose I need a specialist to answer this question and I hope there is someone who can help.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

you need to see a rhuematologist and get more testing.

Dr. David :

you do need to see a rhuematology specialist

Dr. David :

and get testing to check for rheumatoid arthritis

Dr. David :

rheumatoid factor and anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide (anti-CCP) antibodies.

Dr. David :

and

Dr. David :

antibodies to double-stranded DNA (anti-dsDNA) tests,
antibodies to histone tests,
antibodies to phospholipids,
antibodies to Ro/SS-A and La/SS-B,
antibodies to Sm target Sm proteins in the cell nucleus,
antibodies to RNP target ribonucleoproteins

Dr. David :

you still could have lupus.

Dr. David :

there are many potential autoimmune conditions you could have.

Dr. David :

I am glad you are seeing a rheumatologist tomorrow

Dr. David :

you should not wear makeup to the doctors appointment tomorrow

Dr. David :

to show your true skin color.

Customer:

I am seeing a rheumatologist tomorrow but I need info before then so I know what to ask/say. I think I have had all these tests. I have the results infront of me. I gave the overall results as per the tests. I have now tested positive for DNA antibodies but the Crithidia test tat the Rheum.. doctor wanted is negative so I don't understand. The ANA test was positive and gave a homogonous pattern. I will scan the results

Dr. David :

I see.

Dr. David :

sometimes it can be very difficult to diagnose patients who have autoimmune conditions.

Dr. David :

they can sometimes go 4-6 years

Dr. David :

many rheumatologist if they suspect lupus or RA will give treatments for these conditions to see if the symptoms improve.

Dr. David :

I have to see a patient, I'll be right back

Customer:

what is the difference between rhumatoid arthritis and Lupus?

Customer:

results
Full Size Image

Customer:

ok will wait

Customer:

test results for c3 c4
Full Size Image

Customer:

original DNA test results
Full Size Image

Customer:

Hope these help. As you can see I have been tested positive for DNA antibodies twice now but Crithidia is negative. Don't know what the difference is and if ANA is different to DNA antibody test/results.

Customer:

Looking at my test results and my symproms what conditions would you be considering? Lupus? Other conditions?

Dr. David :

these are two different types of autoimmune disorders.

Dr. David :

RA attacks the joints.

Dr. David :

lupus has much more systemic effects.

Dr. David :

positive crithidia luciliae antibody testing is very suggestive of lupus

Customer:

My joints never swell and I have no deformaty. In my legs the muscles hurt and at times I have to go up and down stairs one at a time. Even going up curbs is difficult

Dr. David :

your crithidia luciliae antibody was negative.

Customer:

Crithidia was negative so would lupus be ruled out and if so what else should the doctor be considering?

Dr. David :

you still need rheumatoid factor and nti-cyclic citrullinated peptide (anti-CCP) antibodies testing.

Dr. David :

I wouldn't say lupus is ruled out completely .

Dr. David :

you might not be testing for it at this point.

Dr. David :

but you still could have it.

Customer:

Ok. So I will suggest that tomorrow if the doctor doesn't. Is that a DNA type test? I am in UK and my insrnace is paying for the consultation but they wont pay for DNA blood tests!

Customer:

so what other mediacl conditions would you be considering from my results etc

Dr. David :

DNA or genetic testing looks at your bloods cells DNA or genetic sequences to try to make a diagnosis.

Dr. David :

you need a lip biopsy to confirm sjorgren's

Dr. David :

ankylosing sponkylitis

Dr. David :

polymyalgia rheumatica.

Dr. David :

fibromyalgia.

Dr. David :

those are other conditions that have to be considered.

Dr. David :

good luck

Dr. David :

let me know how it goes

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions.

Dr. David :

if done for now, please leave positive feedback below the chat box

Dr. David :

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

Dr. David :

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Dr. David :

is my website if you need to reach me again.

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Customer:

Ok thanks. I think I have enough info now to see him tomorrow.

Dr. David :

good luck

Dr. David :

don't forget to leave positive feedback below

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Dr. David :

do you have any other questions?

Dr. David :

hello?

Dr. David :

do you have other questions?

Dr. David :

hello?

Customer:

Sorry called away. Just one question about polymyalgia. I have no shoulder problems just all hips legs and burser in right hip. Does this rume out polymyalgia as it seems to say it is to do with shoulders and neck?

Customer:

BRB

Dr. David :

makes it less likely.

Dr. David :

are you overweight? this can tend to put more weight on your legs and hips

Dr. David :

at your age, you could also be suffering from simple osteoarthritis in your hips as well.

Dr. David :

have you had an xray or MRI scan of your right hip?

Customer:

yes unfortunately I am overweight. Had a battle with weight all my life. Live on a low fat and now low carb diet but as soon as I look at food I put on wieght. I don't overeat. it is just me. My parents were the same especially my father.

Customer:

Yes lots of scans and MRi's Cyst in spine found and partial thickness labral tear with a small cyst all of which the orthopaedic surgeon thinks is minor and shouldnt be causing the problems. Therefore i am now thinking it is not one thing but perhaps some auto immune problem causing the symptoms

Dr. David :

have you had your thyroid hormone levels checked?

Dr. David :

low thyroid hormones can cause weight gain

Customer:

Yes I think so quite some time ago though

Dr. David :

also if you have excessive blood androgens, this can cause weight gain.

Dr. David :

make sure your TSH or thyroid stimulation hormone level is between 0.3 and 3.0

Customer:

androgens?

Dr. David :

androgens are testosterone levels which can be elevated in some women who have polycystic ovarian syndrome.

Dr. David :

this probably is not an issue if you are post menopausal now.

Customer:

Ok I can ask my GP to do this as I believe it is just a blood test. I recently had a full health check which included bloods and cholestorol and was told all was fine. Would that have included thyroid?

Dr. David :

it depends on your doctor and what was ordered.

Dr. David :

get a copy of the blood testing and check.

Customer:

I am post menopause. have been for about 10 years

Dr. David :

I see.

Dr. David :

good luck to you

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

good luck with the rheumatology appointment tomorrow

Dr. David :

if done, please leave positive feedback below

Dr. David :

let me know how it goes.

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Customer:

Will ask GP for the blood tests and if it hasn't been done I will request it. They are very good.

Dr. David :

that is good.

Customer:

Can I leave this open to ask questions after the appointment tomorrow or do I close and re ask

Dr. David :

better to close it with a positive feedback

Dr. David :

you can always come back and ask questions

Dr. David :

thanks.

Customer:

Ok. Can I find you again and do I then pay again?

Dr. David :

if you use this same question to ask related questions, you don't have to pay

Dr. David :

but if you have a new question and new topic, you can pay for another chat

Dr. David :

and you can find me at my website

Dr. David :

Customer:

must go as I have grandson to collect. thanks for your help. I will look for the reply when I come back

Dr. David :

so you are not closing out now?

Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician