Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I have constant severe pain in my thumbs and pain in arms seem

I have constant severe pain in my thumbs and pain in arms seem to radiate from thumbs
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-

How long has this been going on for?
Does pain from neck radiates towards thumb?
On a grade of 1 to 10 how will you rate the pain?
Do you have pain in both hands? Does pain radiate from thumb, towards shoulder?
Do you work on computer for long hours?
Associated redness/ swelling on both hands?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have had this pain for several years, but much more severe in last few months. Im not sure where the pain comes from but the trigger points feel the same. if I press my upper arm muscles, thumbs muscles and shoulder muscles the pain is the same! My neck and shoulder pain varies in intensity, but the thumb muscle pain is constant and severe, it also has a burning sensation, in the large thumb muscle, it is not in the thumb joints more towards the wrists. Both hands are affected, both sides of neck and shoulders are affected and pain will radiate to base of skull. I am a pianist and the thumb pain restricts my playing. I don't have redness or swelling. I don't spend hours on a computer, but when I do I have notices an increase in pain.

Dear Customer, Thanks for providing quick additional information.
I can understand your concern. I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort.

These symptoms could be related with cervical disk disease(Pinched Nerve).
It would cause pain throughout the complete path of nerve, So pressing upper arm muscle, thumbs, shoulder muscle cause burning sensation.

As pain radiates from both hands, passing through arm and reaching towards base of skull, so it is nerve related. Further as pain get increased with use of computer, so it confirms relation with nerve compression.

You need to apply ice packs on cervical spine for 10-15 minutes and it can be done 3-4 times a day. You should take Motrin 400mg twice a day.
You should take adequate rest, and remain away from lifting any heavy objects. You should not work on computer for more than half an hour in a single stretch.

You would be advised Nonsurgical Treatment to cure such symptoms, It includes-

1.Physical therapy- Therapist can advise cervical (neck) traction and posture therapy . Also Strengthening and stretching weakened or strained muscles would be helpful. It is usually advised for 6-8 weeks.

2.Use of medications like- Acetaminophen and Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like ibuprofen and and naproxen would be helpful. Doctor can also advise for Muscle relaxants such as cyclobenzaprine or carisoprodol.

In case, symptoms don't improve with above treatment then, Steroid-Based Injections can also be given. A short course of oral corticosteroids may also help reduce pain.

I would recommend that you should follow these tips, and get Electromyography and nerve conduction studies test.

I would recommend that you visit your primary doctor for evaluation and get it managed.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.