Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

I have just been diagnosed with Meningocele. I was healthy

Customer Question

I have just been diagnosed with Meningocele. I was healthy untill 12 months ago then I started suffering from dizzyness/drunk feeling, trouble concentrating, clumsyness. This went on for 6 months and I was back and to the doctors. I then started getting a pulsatile tinitus in my rights ear. I was refered to ENT and they found a cystic area on the CT scan, which they have diagnosed as meningocele (right side of head just in front of my ear).
This has been refered to a brain surgeon, to see if they think it is causing the symptoms and if they can do anything about it. In the last week I have started getting headaches on this side of my head, made worse by sneezing and bending forward.

Can I ask could my symptoms be caused by this cyst, if yes what can be done, does this mean I have spina bifida? Is there anything I should avoid while I am waiting to see the specialist next week (alcohol, any particular medications). Finally is it safe to fly with this condition? Thanks
Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.

I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.

Can you give me the CT report? Is the meningocele on right lateral part of the skull or is it near the cervical spine?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I don't know very much about the CT report, they have told me very little, hence why I am here. But the cyst is around my right temple area, so the lateral part of the skull.

Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.
Deborah,

Lateral meningocele are also known but they are generally not associated with spina bifida. Spina bifida is non-union of the posterior element of the particular vertebra. This may be associated with meningocele at the posterior part of the neck/ lower back.

Outpouching of the cerebrospinal fluid is called as meningocele. If there are associated cerebral or neurogenic contents than it is called as meningomyelocele {more severe form}.

Increase in intracranial pressure can cause headache. Some other symptoms like seizure or blurring of vision also need to be looked for. You need to avoid any activity which will increase intracranial tension like - sneezing/ coughing/ sudden bending/ vigorous exercise or long distance jog/ raise the head part of your bed. There is no harm in flying with meningocele.

Generally if the meningocele is large or is growing in size than you need to get it repaired. The surgery is not complex one and hence complications are rare.

Please do not worry, you will be fine soon.

Best
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can I just ask one more thing, in your opinion could the meningocele be causing the dizzyness I have been experiencing?

Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.
Deborah,

Yes it may be the cause. I would however also like to rule out middle or inner ear abnormality. Ear issue can present with associated symptoms like tinnitus/ reduced hearing too.

Best