Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

I need help to get back on track with my relationship with

I need help to get back on track with my relationship with my partner. We're falling out over sex all the time and cant seem to get it resolved. Im worried it will lead to us breaking up ..
Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.

I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.

Can you give more details? May I know the cause of problem? Do any of you have any diagnosed medical condition?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no we don't but he has real trouble maintaining an erection. which is why Im avoiding sex more and more because 50% of the time it ends up unsuccessful and leaves us both feeling awkward and embarrassed. he's sure its just because I don't make enough effort with him and if I did he'd be able to maintain it

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.
Lucy,

I do understand your anxiety.

Inability of getting or maintaining erection is common issue and can be treated in most of the cases. The causes can be psychological or medical {hormonal like thyroid issue or low testosterone/ less blood supply to penile sinuses/ neurogenic problem/ diabetes/ obesity or excess alcohol intake}.

I do understand the circumstances you are going through. Both of you need to face the problem upfront and not run from it. first step - You need to talk about the issue with your partner and let him know the cause which can be the real issue. Also assure him that most of the causes are curable and thus this will bring back normal sexual activity in your life. A physical evaluation {urologist is preferred} along with few investigations like blood tests/ color doppler for penis should give us more answers.

Viagra,Cialis,Levitra do help. They need to be started with a lower dose. Some of the alternative medicines/natural products which claim to help are - L-Arginine/ DHEA/ Yohimbine.
Use of vitamin/mineral supplements containing ZINC,VITAMIN E and FOLIC ACID are also very helpful.

A discussion with a psychiatrist may help too. Staying away from stress and anxiety {Yoga, meditation help} make a significant difference. Lose excess weight, exercise regularly/ avoid alcohol and smoking.

Wish both of you good luck.

Best