Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

hi there..please could you help me..im 39 yrs, female, and

Customer Question

hi there..please could you help me..im 39 yrs, female, and I produce excessive mucus..if I don't rid myself of it throughout the day..i literally blow up..it feels like im drowning from the inside..i'm contantly tired..and my mind feels foggy..i don't go out socially or otherwise atall anymore..this has been ongoing for about 5 years now, and just recently my periods have stopped, ive missed two now......please please any help or advice would be so gratefully received..i am just not functioning as a woman of my age should atall..
many thanks for your time and expertise...
kind regards ***** *****
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

where are you producing this mucus?

Dr. David :

are you coughing this cough?

Dr. David :

have you tried allergy medications and steroid inhalers?

Dr. David :

you need to see a doctor.

Dr. David :

if you don't like your GP you should find another GP doctor.

Dr. David :

you need your iron levels checked

Dr. David :

and thyroid hormone levels checked.

Dr. David :

you need your estrogen levels checked.

Dr. David :

you could be going into early menopause.

Dr. David :

or have problems with your ovaries or pituitary hormones.

Customer:

hello there ..I produce it from my mouth and I hack it up from my stomach , but it seems to store in my tummy which becomes very bloated, also my neck chin ,tops of arms, back of neck fill with this liquid..i can literally go up a size or two in clothes if I don't get it up..the mucus is clear and oudorless and is very similar to the mucus produced from the throat and nose, when you cry excessively..it is very gluey..i know this all sounds totally bizarre, but it is the absolute truth..

Dr. David :

this could be due to severe allergies

Dr. David :

you might need to go on allergy medications and steroid nasal sprays to decrease the mucus.

Dr. David :

you might need a steroid inhaler to decrease mucus production from the lungs.

Dr. David :

but you have to see a doctor to get these prescriptions.

Dr. David :

we can't give out prescriptions online.

Customer:

sometimes I can bring up several pints of this mucus, and I am in the bathroom for hours..which is extremely embarrassing and has become totally debilitating ..oh and I should say it definitely does not appear to come from my lungs..but from my stomach. And I don't cough it up so much as agitate it from the back of my throat as if you were going to spit..

Dr. David :

I see.

Customer:

I am an abstaining alcoholic of over 10 years also..

Dr. David :

you could be producing too much stomach acid from your stomach

Dr. David :

you need to see a GI specialist.

Dr. David :

there are medications which can help decrease stomach secretions

Dr. David :

and help decrease stomach acid.

Dr. David :

have you taken stomach acid blockers before?

Dr. David :

like nexium or protonix?

Dr. David :

or omeprazole?

Dr. David :

are you wiling to find another GP doctor?

Dr. David :

what other questions do you have for me?

Customer:

no I haven't ever tried those medicines..and yes I know I will have to seek out a different doctor..

Dr. David :

hello?

Customer:

have you ever heard of this before..i feel like a completely isolated with this..and as I say it is so humiliating hacking and spitting pints of this 'gunge' everyday..have I done this to myself from years of alcohol abuse??..that is another factor of not wanting to see my GP, as I feel its my own doing..but my life has just come to a grinding halt..i don't see any of my friends or family..i haven't even had any babies..

Dr. David :

yeas of alcohol use can cause irritation of your stomach

Dr. David :

and this can cause excessive mucus production and acid production.

Dr. David :

there are medications like scopolamine patches which can help dry up your stomach and throat area.

Dr. David :

you have stopped alcohol.

Dr. David :

you have to see a doctor.

Dr. David :

to get treatments.

Dr. David :

you have to get this condition treated and you will feel better

Dr. David :

and you should see a GI specialist as well.

Dr. David :

hello?

Dr. David :

do you have any other questions?

Customer:

I'm sorry for my delayed response my computer laptop screen froze for ages..you have brought up some very interesting and useful points..thank you so much for your time and help Dr.David......I really appreciate it as I have never properly discussed any of this before..Am I able to save this conversation and the advice you've given me today?..or should I write it all down??

Dr. David :

you are welcome

Dr. David :

I hope you get better

Dr. David :

if done, please leave positive feedback below.

Dr. David :

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

Dr. David :

yes, you can save this conversation

Dr. David :

you can always get to it with a link in your email

Dr. David :

you might have to scroll down to see the ratings area below.

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Customer:

do I press save&exit at the bottom of this chat pane , in order to save it, as I wont remember the names of the medications that you have suggested..and I will definitely be giving you an "excellent service face" as feedback"..

Dr. David :

press excellent feedback

Dr. David :

and save and exit.

Dr. David :

thanks.

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Dr. David :

hello?

Customer:

okay thankyou so much..Kimberley xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dr. David :

you are welcome

Dr. David :

you haven't left positive feedback yet.

Dr. David :

hello?

Dr. David :

do you have other questions?

Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
just want another professional opinion
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I would be glad to help you.
I am a double board certified clinician of over 20 years experience.
I am advance trained in hormone therapy, and board certified in integrative medicine and well as internal medicine, both clinical specialties.
Please find me on a new post by request.
Use a long request lock.
Ask for Dr. Thomas only, in the title.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
want another opinion to compare the answers that I had from the other professional
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
I would be glad to assist you today, but want to confirm that you understand that I would expect another positive rating for an answer that addresses your question, so that there would be another charge.
Is that satisfactory?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes that's satisfactory..

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hello..?

Very good. I'm sorry, but it takes some time to type a complete answer.

There are two issues present.

First, regarding the mucus, there are a couple of primary concerns. The most common cause of excessive mucus would be from inflammation of the upper airways that is swallowed into the stomach. This would most often be due to allergies, although there are some non-allergic causes of inflammation, such as vasomotor disease. The other common cause would be acid irritation, such as irritation of the oesophagus and throat, which will cause mucus in response to the acid irritation.

Although it would require a proper evaluation to determine the cause of the excessive mucus, there are some over the counter medicines that can be tried to see if it helps to ease symptoms. An antihistamine may help ease the mucus. There also are several over the counter medicines that can suppress stomach acid, such as Zantac, Prilosec, or Prevacid. If you want to try one of the over the counter options, they should be tried separately, or you won't know which has helped your symptoms.

The other potential issue is the fact that you have missed a couple periods. Obviously, the first issue when a woman misses a period is that she may be pregnant, but once that is excluded, there are a couple of other considerations. The most common cause of missed periods when a woman is not pregnant is a non-specific response to stress, and this stress can be physical, such as from another medical problem or physical exertion, or emotional stress. In fact, this is so common, we typically will only look for other possible causes of missed periods if there are three consecutive missed periods. If you have further missed periods, then there should be some evaluation to identify the cause of the missed periods, including consideration of primary ovarian failure, polycystic ovary syndrome, or thyroid disease.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.